Andros 12N No free Spool

Started by Rivverrat, March 04, 2018, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

So, you are becoming an expert on Andros reels

May I asume that now your reel is working as it should?
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Jeff - did you skim the spool sleeve to give a bit more clearance?

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on March 18, 2018, 03:18:10 AM
So, you are becoming an expert on Andros reels

May I asume that now your reel is working as it should?

Every time I learn something new about these lever drags it is then the realization of just how little I do know is driven very firmly home. Reel is for the most part working as it should. Read my following reply to Chris... Jeff

Rivverrat

Chris, yes I did add a shim.
I was needing to get this reel back to it's owner & had little time to mess about any more with it. This fella needed easy access to all the bearings because the reel gets dunked in saltwater on occasion. He wanted the ability to replace bearings without the need for any special tools.

So I replaced the two inner retaining rings on the shaft for the spool bearing spacing & installed the spring washers ((() vs the stock ()().  This allows for easy replacement of the left side spool bearing & installation of the spring washers. The C clip can be put in place simply with pliers.

However this can create a loss of range in the cast control adjustment.

The original Andros 5 made prior to the dual force drag aren't as troublesome to sleeve. Clip below showing free spool. I didn't spin it hard at  all Jeff

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxXseE333-9Siwtf1eBmykUZO_rb638J/view?usp=sharing

Tiddlerbasher

The original series Andros were quite easy to work on - including sleeving the spool. The only problems I ever had were with silent dogs - they could be a pita >:(