4/0 113HLW

Started by jkel, March 06, 2018, 02:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkel

Hello,

First post here and newbie in the world of conventional reels.

Picked up this nice 4/0 and took it apart to look at the internals. Reel was spooled with mono(removed after purchase) and seems like it had very minimal use. Chrome plating? is in excellent condition and no signs of corrosion/pitting anywhere.

Here are some pics and maybe any of you can point out if there is something that doesn't look right. Maybe I can remove the old grease/oil and apply new.

JRD

Nice reel and great condition.  Yes clean the grease off, regrease.  If it has cf drags grease with cals or shimano grease, if not order up a set.  Penn oil or corrosion x in the bearings and fish for the next 20 years.

jkel

Quote from: JRD on March 06, 2018, 04:23:05 AM
Nice reel and great condition.  Yes clean the grease off, regrease.  If it has cf drags grease with cals or shimano grease, if not order up a set.  Penn oil or corrosion x in the bearings and fish for the next 20 years.

Before I disassembled it I noticed that the free spool wasn't that great...just a few full turns and it would stop. Hopefully after oiling up the bearings it'll be much better.

Bill B

All looks in order....as JRD stated install carbon fiber drag washers if they are not already there.  There is a tutorial on opening up the bearing, but the short story is using a sharp fish hook remove the retaining ring and shield then flush with a solvent then oil with CorrosionX, ReelX or other light oil and fish that reel.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Yogi_fish808

You picked up a very nice example of a 113HLW, everything looks to be in nearly pristine condition. Along with flushing the bearings with solvent and applying a light light oil, you can also polish the spool shaft with chrome polish and the inside of the pinion to reduce friction. Go thru the 113H tutorial and do a pre-fishing service on her.

Aloha,
Kyle

Long Enuff

Free spool issue could have been bearing on non handle end plate was screwed in too tight. When you put it back together, adjust the bearing so that there is just a slight amount of side to side play in the spool.  If to tight and no lateral play in the spool, it can damage the bearings.

Donnyboat

Hi there Jkel, one or two other things you could do, to help with free spool, I think it was Alan ( the boss), that demonstrated, honing out the inside of the pinion, by using some fine steel wool on a drill bit, and spinning it, inside the pinion, or use a drill bit in reverse, also place the spool in the drill chuck, spin the spool whyle holding some wet n dry cloth 2000, on the other end, don't need much, just smooth if of, then reverse the spool, so you have smoothed both ends, make sure you blow any steel wool of when you finnish, lube with TSI 321, or a synthetic oil, or Inox MX4, or there abouts, let us know how you get on with the free spool good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

After you oil the bearings in place use a Q-Tip to turn the bearing. You will feel if the bearing is bad. Make sure the bearing is turning.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jkel

Alright thanks everyone for your replies and tips much appreciated!

I will also read the other threads here about maintaining this reel and check back in periodically with pictures of what I've done or what I haven't done correctly.  :-[

Here is a pic of the drag stack.

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on March 07, 2018, 10:54:19 PM
After you oil the bearings in place use a Q-Tip to turn the bearing. You will feel if the bearing is bad. Make sure the bearing is turning.
A chopstick is one of the best tool I use for bearings, once you slide the bearing on, it doesn't come off. It also comes in handy when removing the shield and  for sterring it is a small glass jar with some Naphtha.
Of course it will also help with checking if it is good or not.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jkel

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 08, 2018, 01:42:57 AM
A chopstick is one of the best tool I use for bearings, once you slide the bearing on, it doesn't come off. It also comes in handy when removing the shield and  for sterring it is a small glass jar with some Naphtha.

Sal
Ok I will do that too. Been a lil busy so haven't got a chance to start the cleaning  ;D

Oh on another note, I've seen other 4/0 reels with exterior drags including the HLW. Was that common and what's the purpose: easier to replace the drag stack by just removing the handle?

Alto Mare

Quote from: jkel on March 11, 2018, 10:06:14 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 08, 2018, 01:42:57 AM
A chopstick is one of the best tool I use for bearings, once you slide the bearing on, it doesn't come off. It also comes in handy when removing the shield and  for sterring it is a small glass jar with some Naphtha.

Sal
Ok I will do that too. Been a lil busy so haven't got a chance to start the cleaning  ;D

Oh on another note, I've seen other 4/0 reels with exterior drags including the HLW. Was that common and what's the purpose: easier to replace the drag stack by just removing the handle?
You've answered your own question. :) That was done for guys that weren't too comfortable breaking down the reel to get to the drags,
today we know better.
The reel should be completely taken apart at least once a year. Well, I'm not sure if everyone else does, but that's what I do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jkel

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 11, 2018, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: jkel on March 11, 2018, 10:06:14 PM

You've answered your own question. :) That was done for guys that weren't too comfortable breaking down the reel to get to the drags,
today we know better.
The reel should be completely taken apart at least once a year. Well, I'm not sure if everyone else does, but that's what I do.

Sal

Awesome thanks for clarifying that. Would the drag stack last a little longer being on the inside and away from the elements?

Donnyboat

yes the drag is best on the inside, away from the elements, but the drags with the outside open are good if you place plent of cals grease on the washers, as Alan has said, as the grease ooses out, it will stop the salt water & sand from getting in, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jkel

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 12, 2018, 02:04:50 AM
yes the drag is best on the inside, away from the elements, but the drags with the outside open are good if you place plent of cals grease on the washers, as Alan has said, as the grease ooses out, it will stop the salt water & sand from getting in, cheers Don.

I'll take that into consideration too since I may be able to find one of those 'outside drag' HLW's.  :)