Drag Scales

Started by SoCalAngler, March 06, 2018, 03:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I have a lower end 50 lb spring scale with the Mustad name on it. This scale looks like many others in the $20-$30 price range, I believe one or two manufactures make these type of scales and just print on the name of whom ever they sell the scales to. I have had this spring scale for around 8-10 years now and I started to notice about 2-3 years ago the scale seemed not to be too accurate. This was just a feeling to me, I'm pretty good at dialing in my drags just by feel and the sound of the line coming off the reel up to around 50-60 lb test because from 15 lb to 50 lb test is the line test I use most often.

Well I bought another scale, this time it was a digital scale. Though again a lower priced model from the higher end scales but it has pretty good accuracy rating from various testing sites that don't get paid advertising to sell this product.  The scale is said to be plus or minus around a couple of ounces on varying weights to up to 100 lbs. No I don't need to set my drags that high :)

Ok here is the deal just playing around with both scales tonight. I filled a empty gallon plastic milk jug with water to around where I thought it came filled from the store. I placed it on the spring scale and out a reading to less than 8.5 lbs pretty good I thought. I weighted it with the digital scale and the weight was 8.83 lbs. Ok, something is a little off but not by much, lets check some more. I then set the spring scale and dialed in a reel to be 8 lbs of drag. I then measured the rating with the digital scale and it was over 9 lbs for drag. Hmm, I then added more drag to get around 10 lbs of drag on the digital scale and the spring scale was showing 8.5 lbs of drag.

For the type of fishing I do I like to set my drags around 33% of the lines breaking strength as this has always worked well for me. Around 3 years ago I started setting my drags around 1-2 lb lighter depending the line test used because when using my spring scale the reel just didn't feel right for the drag numbers.

If you use a lower cost spring scale and things just don't feel right you may want to check it's accuracy. I know there are high end spring scales with costs over $200 and those may hold up way better over time. I don't know because I never owned one. But, if things feel funky with those you may want to check them out also.

For me the higher the drag numbers on the digital scale the more off the spring scale was.

Alright, let me state this also if you want to move into a digital to check your drags. It will be very hard if not impossible to get precise drag readings. Most if not all digital scales need a static reading where the weight does not fluctuate before giving you the most accurate measurement. For most digital scales this is a second or two of non changing weight and you will never get that when pulling line off a reel and using a digital scal. The drag of the reel, the line coming off the spool, how hard you pull even if you try to make a even pull will not allow you to get a static measurement for a couple of seconds, well at least not for me trying it tonight. What I did find though the digital scale will vary by a few ounces to maybe up to 1/2 of a pound as the screen reads out as you pull if done carefully. So you have to kind of average out the numbers you see on the screen. But, for me the digital scale seems more accurate using the average seen than the static stopper on my spring scale.

Keta

Cheep spring scales can be recalibrated but it's not worth the time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

I use a Chatillon. Best to get one with the slider on it. My days of using Walmart bought and digital luggage scales are over.  These are specifically made for measuring fishing reel drags. I picked one up on Ebay in excellent condition for short money.

Cor

I wonder if this not a similar issue we have with thermometers down here.  Water temperature is extremely important in Yellowtail fishing, and most of the anglers all carry a thermometer, but these things are all notoriously inaccurate resulting in much arguing amongst the guys. :D
The alcohol filled ones differ as much as 1 degree on either side so on a given day some will read 17 C others 19 C where the correct temperature is 18 C degrees.
I don't remember but suspect that the Mercury filled ones were more reliable.
Digital ones are listed to be accurate within 1% (My experience tells me they deviate a lot more)
Then you get those point and shoot things that are even far less accurate.

This is just some background, and yes, these are generally cheap devices and not calibrated!

Now what I've been doing is to adjust my thermometers to all read the same by putting them on my workbench and then painstakingly adjust the plastic scales to all read the same, check and re check and then glue all in place.    Right, now at least all my thermometers will read the same, or so I thought....hahaha...no ways.

Let's say when I made the adjustment the temperature was 25 degrees C and at that temperature they were all the same.    They don't all adjust the same way to a different temperature, so when the actual temperature drops to 17 degrees, you again suddenly have a variation between all the thermometers!    
When the temperature moves back up to 25 degrees, they are all roughly the same again.

I think your spring scale may well be accurate at say 10 lb but will deviate at 15 lb and more so at 20 lb or something like that?
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Some time ago I bought some cheap Ebay 50lb digital scales (mainly for luggage weighing). They had the advantage that they kept the highest reading until reset - should be useful as it takes out the varying reading.
About a year ago I had the opportunity to borrow a calibrated spring balance. Time to compare £150 scales with £5 ones.
I set up three plastic containers containg water - One at 5lb, one at 10lb and one at 20lb. All weighed using the calibrated spring scales (max reading 25lb). Then, using a Sharpie, marked the water level in each container (so I could repeat the 'calibration' at a future date). The acid test for the digital scales was next. The readings for the digital scales were as follows:
At 5lb the reading was 4lb 13oz
  10lb           ..           9lb 14oz
  20lb           ..           20lb 1oz
A lot better than I expected :)
I probably got lucky with my scales but technology marches on and they have to get it right sometimes :-\

Keta

Quote from: Cor on March 06, 2018, 07:24:56 AM

I think your spring scale may well be accurate at say 10 lb but will deviate at 15 lb and more so at 20 lb or something like that?

When we calibrated the scales I am trying to sell we did it mid range and they are always a bit off on the upper and lower end due to the nature of springs. My personal scales were calibrated to the weight I use, and I have several scales.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

I've found none better than Chatillon. They are pricey. Though they will out last many cheaper scales.

Mine are decades old & still acurrate.

oc1

I have two old 50 lb. Chatillons.  This is the nice one. They read the same but have never been calibrated.

-steve

Benni3

Just found this today 24lb,,1905 on the tag :D $12,,,,1 gallon of water 8.3lb,,,the digital rapala's >:( this works better ;D

Benni3

Got this chatillons 100lb $15 and it tested accurate,,,,this stuff works great,,,,vintage nope :-\ antique maybe  ;D

Long Enuff

Thirty pounds and under, I just use my Boga Grips.

https://www.bogagrip.com

SoCalAngler

Cool guys thanks for bringing a older topic up again.

Here is a little more info on some testing I did.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25686.15

Benni3

Got 1 more it's the last one I need :D $.01 shipping $7.70 a little adjustment on its right on the money  ;D