Abu Ambassadeur Power Handle and misc questions

Started by Gobi King, January 08, 2018, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

How about her using one of the 2 speed Ambassaduer reels? They have a large handle and the lower gear. I think I have a couple of them.

Keith

How about a Newell reel? Lightweight, big handle, and many gear options. All the ones I have are 5 to 1 or higher.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ruffy

The 3.8:1 gears were in the 'Winch' models. Part numbers are main gear #24973, pinion gear #24972. This is for RH drive reels (eg 6500) only, I am not sure if they made the Winch in a lefty. Getting a hold of these gears will be your next problem, start with Abu, then any big service centre you can find I guess. Good luck!

Andrew

Edit: LH drive reels (eg 6501) use main gear #24975, pinion gear #24974.

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on January 25, 2018, 11:03:23 PM
How about her using one of the 2 speed Ambassaduer reels? They have a large handle and the lower gear. I think I have a couple of them.

Keith

How about a Newell reel? Lightweight, big handle, and many gear options. All the ones I have are 5 to 1 or higher.

I did not know ABU made 2 speeds,
I looked em up, nice but litte $$$ :-(.
Also, 3.8:1 is a good ratio, I am going to have grandma do a dry run at home with a Okuma Solterra. I am going to put a little line in so she has more CCP (Cold Cranking Power :-))

On the topic of large handles, I ordered some from Tuna Tom and they are not that "large". I was hoping they would be little bit longer.
The power handle will still be a good upgrade she wears gloves most of the time in walleye/coho season.

Yeah, I have no experience with the other reels you mentioned,

Let's how my CCP test goes

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

After trying out the reels I am afraid the Abu's are not the best option for grandma.

I compared Okuma SLR, Okuma Low 350 and Abu.

The Okumas as effortless to reel in heavy mock load (back pack with some water bottles).

Here is what I compared with some test line.

The Okuma SLR (SLX) was the winner hands down, this is an older model with just 1 TB, the newer ones have 2 TBs.

The weight difference will not be factor as I help support the rod for her and the girls.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan