Clicking drag Ambassadeur 5501 Cs Pro Rocket

Started by Shagel, March 07, 2018, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shagel

Hi guys! Bought my first Ambassadeur last year, a left winded 5501CS Rocket for pike fishing, prior to that I've just been using spinning reels. Love it. Was surprised though that there is no clicking drag. There is a clicker for trolling that sounds on both retrieve and line out but that's a different thing. I've grown up with the sound of a clicking drag when fighting fish and for me, it's just not the same. Takes away one of the senses I guess. Nothing like feeling a big fish take and then hearing the drag scream. Also, when there's no sound, I found it harder to adjust the drag during the fight, 'cause I can't hear how much and how fast the fish is taking line, if that makes sense.

So, is there someway to add a clicking drag? I've googled pretty much everything but it doesn't seem like this is a feature many care about. There was a guy here in Sweden making replacement drive gears with a click spring but unfortunately he's closed shop. Here's how that looked;

I read the thread "TUTORIAL: ambassaduer rebuild from carolina custom reels" and that thing has a click spring and clicker wheel.

Would that gear assembly fit in my reel?

I've also seen that the 2500C has a click spring and a clicker wheel, more resembling the after market one I first attached.

I understand that since the drag washers have to be cut one way or the other to accomodate the click spring, the amount of drag will diminish somewhat but I'm willing to sacrifice that.

I'd really appreciate some help here. What do you guys suggest, are there older/other drive gears with a click spring that are interchangeable with my reel, should I buy another drive gear + drag stack and try to make my own or is there someone else making things like this?

Thanks guys,

-Simon

swill88

Welcome Simon!
Some great questions. I'm hoping to hear some answers too and no doubt some will come along.
Steve

mikeysm

If you don't like the sound take it off. See if dawn has a kit to replace it. Or fodder a different model that doesn't have that clicker set up. My abu beast doesn't have it. I took those off my other abu reels.

Mike

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on March 07, 2018, 05:40:03 PM
If you don't like the sound take it off. See if dawn has a kit to replace it. Or fodder a different model that doesn't have that clicker set up. My abu beast doesn't have it. I took those off my other abu reels.

Mike
Mike, I think he wants to add the sound with line pulling through the drag. Any ideas?

Steve

mikeysm

ereplacementparts.com check here. Match up a main gear like your and find a abu reel that has the clicker and order it. Or let me know the part number of your gear and I will find it for you and let you know.

Mike

Shagel

Thanks for the answers guys! Did some more digging and found this, it's a russian guy selling on ebay and it's for Revo reels.

(Second picture from another guy and another reel but shows how it works)
I'm guessing the drag stack isn't interchangeable between a Revo and an Ambassadeur?
I like the solution though. Allows to keep all three drag discs, although they have to be trimmed down a bit around the outside edges. Should be better than the first one in my first post, as that one only seems to have two drag discs. Pretty narrow ones too, in order to accomodate the click spring.
This feels like something I could try to make myself, just order another drag assembly and cut stuff up. How easy are the carbon drag discs to cut? Do the edges fray?

Thanks,
-Simon

Tiddlerbasher

Typically the Ambassadeur reels have 'silent' dogs with ears ( :-\). If you pull the ears off (ouch) you should be able to fabricate a leaf spring to push the dog onto the ratchet - that will give you a clicking sound. Never tried it on an Abu but I've done it to double dog a couple of reels - fiddly but not rocket science ;)

Oh and welcome :)

oc1

The AR dog doesn't move with the drag being pulled.  But, you could mount a bit of leaf spring that just grazes the main gear as it moves in either direction.  Or, just get over it  :)
-steve

Robert Janssen

Have you checked with Sportfiskeboden i Täby? UT quit a long time ago, but the guy at Sportfiskeboden took over. Maybe they have some left?
We used to have a guy here, KenD, who had an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of Abu part numbers and which-fits-with-what, but he isn't around anymore. Too bad. As soon as you have a part number, just call Svängsta. Or for that matter, call Svängsta and ask. They ought to know, after all.

.EDIT & AFTERTHOUGHT:
Hm. If Svängsta had them, then UT wouldn't have needed to make them, would he.... oh well...
BTW though, UT was liked by the guys at Lundgrens. Maybe they have something? Ask P-A. He would know.