Global Flood Waters

Started by Shark Hunter, March 07, 2018, 06:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

The Banks of the Ohio river reached a flood stage not attained for 20 years just recently.
I know festus has shown some of the flooding in his area of Tennessee lately as well.
Europe has been hit hard as well.
http://www.euronews.com/2016/11/25/floods-cause-havoc-and-victims-in-northern-italy
Life is Good!

Cor

Scary this stuff.
And here we have the worst drought ever with a real chance that this city will run out of water by June.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Climate change - what's that about then ;)

Keta

California too...and we are setting at a bit over 20% of our normal snow pack.  A drought emergency has been declared.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

We're really in bad shape here in Santa Barbara.Had an ok year last year but still weren't up to 50% capacity. So far almost nothing this year but one massive flood that did very little to fill our lake. We also rely on state water but that's looking pretty grim.
Hope you're ok there Daron
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

Fortunately we have had some mild flooding here, more out in the western end of the state around the Mississippi River.  Last week we had highs in the upper 70s, low 80s, now it's snowing.  ???

Carl L

I got 50 inches in 3 days in august..those sheds are jacked up almost 2 feet off the ground. And I'm in a high spot..

Tightlines667

First official La Nina since 2012, 2010, &2008 (see attached PDF report).  

We have gotten used to the predominantly strong or super strong El Nino conditions over the last several decades, and have forgotten what the opposite ones are like.  

When the North Pacific Decadal Ocillation Index is positive and there are El Nino conditions the effects on our northern hemisphere weather are stronger. 

Likewise, when it's negative and La Nina occurs it's enhanced.

Predominanyly positive PDO values, led to enhanced and predominent El Nino conditions over the past decade.  

Things may be changing here though.  It's all part of the Earth's long-term natural climatic cycle.

Bear in mind this is coming from strictly an arm chair meterologist.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cor

In Cape Town its a combination of "climate change", population increase through migration and dopy city water officials who suddenly woke up to the fact that the city would open the taps one morning soon and have dust coming out if they did not do something.   The next realisation was that we don't have any money and much is required. >:( >:(

The wife and I currently use <50 liters per day (13.2 Gallons) of municipal water, the rest is recycled and rain water which we collect and use in toilet cisterns and garden and for a few other things.   Many would think it's not possible to use so little water, but once you settle in to it it just becomes a way of life.  Rainwater collection is also problematic if it does not rain. ;D

This weather that were experiencing has also had a very seriously affected our fishing, my season is nearly over and i've caught 1/2 the number of fish for the season till date, then what I caught in the month of October last year!   The sea is remaining cold and with very dark brown coloured water.

Before readint this I thought we were unique.  We have hit the headlines as the "first large city that may actually run dry"
Cornelis

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 08, 2018, 05:09:32 AM
First official La Nina since 2012, 2010, &2008.  While we have gotten used to the predominantly strong or super strong El Nino conditions over the last several decades, and have forgotten what the opposite ones are like.

Yup, typical La Nina weather here.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Every time there is La Nina we get some minor flooding, spring comes late and near-shore fishing sucks.  I'm glad it's nearly over.
-steve

Keta

And we get drought here, this is not the strongest La Nina in my life but it is a strong one.

I'm sure glad I got rid of the sheep, wife isn't.  I saw water/irrigation problems in the future, sold off the sheep and got 200,000 plus head of "livestock" that does not need pasture to "graze".  As of now our "livestock" is doing well but winter is not over and others have not done so well, up to 75% loss.

Mark Twain

festus

This guy noodled a blue cat from his front yard in northern KY a few days ago.  ::)

Midway Tommy

Man I'm glad I live where I do. My wife & I, just the two of us, go through 225 gal a day on average. We have for years and don't water our yard or have livestock. Whew!!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Keta

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 08, 2018, 10:24:40 PM
Man I'm glad I live where I do. My wife & I, just the two of us, go through 225 gal a day on average. We have for years and don't water our yard or have livestock. Whew!!

We are in the eastern Oregon high desert and water is costly. Our large garden is all drip irrigated and on timers, we are "water conscious" use far less than 225ga a day unless irrigating and that is a separate supply.

Mark Twain