Magged 100

Started by Alto Mare, March 09, 2018, 04:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I've been home since Monday with a bad gout attack and this surprise cheered me up a bit today. Since I was feeling much better and able to stand on that foot, I decided to put it together.
Thanks for the surprise Chad, that was very nice of you...and here is the magged 100

Chad wanted me to check it out and tell him what I thought about it, he will have his own details and instruction.
In the meantime, I will  show you guys what I did.
Of course the first step was to take some measurements and see where on the plate it would work best. This left me with two option, one on top and two on the bottom. I decided to install mine on top.

Chad did include some details on the  installation and tap size, I drilled the hole and used  5/16-24 TAP

Mixed a little epoxy per his suggestion and sat the nut in from the inside

Screwed in the magnet and realized the screw was about 3/16 too long, for this plate. This doesn't mean all need to be cut, but if you're doing a Surfmaster it sure will need to

and the cut screw

While measuring for the hole, you want to be about 5/8 from center of the hole to the edge of the plate.

This will ensure you'll clear the spool lip and the clicker spring.
Set the screw in and the Thumb screw, mark the location of the hole of the set screw and make that area flat so the set screw stays in position

use a file to make it flat

after setting it in I noiticed it was still too long and hitting the spool

I found a 1/8 plastic  washer, I drilled it and tapped it to the correct size and sat it in...no epoxy.
Everything is perfect now

the magnet has about 3/16 travel and that's just about how much you will get.

I did not put line on the reel, but from testing it with the magnet in and out it is doing its job nicely.
You could really tell how good its working.
Chad, I'm not sure on other plates, but on the Surfmaster, you have 2 options, 1 you could drill the hole on the thumb screw as deep as you could, 2 you could enlongate the thumb screw about 3/16. This way it will eliminate hitting the spool.
You could also do as I did, the plastic spacers would be the easiest way to fix it, but I'll leave it up to you.
Thanks again for the magnet, you did a great job with it and it is an excellent upgrade.
For the guys with little usage of tools,  rating this installation from 1 to 10, I give it a solid 8, but if I can do it so can you .

I Love it!...Enjoy it,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is one sweet ride Sal. ;)
Glad you are on the Mend Pal.
Life is Good!

xjchad

Thanks for the write up and kind words Sal!
Great ideas to improve upon the design. Hoping to have it dialed in and ready to sell really soon. I'll probably end up with a few different variations.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on March 09, 2018, 05:42:03 AM
Thanks for the write up and kind words Sal!
Great ideas to improve upon the design. Hoping to have it dialed in and ready to sell really soon. I'll probably end up with a few different variations.
Chad, took another look and as long as the set screw stays above the nut, you would be fine.
All is needed is to remove 3 more threads on the screw holding the magnet and no need for anything else. I do not have another to try or I would do it for you , but you could.
Keep in mind though, all plates are not of the same thickness, so if they vary a lot, some type of shim as I did on mine might be a good idea.
Your design is flawless, it is just a matter of a little fine tuning with the length of the screw.

The Surfmaster is one of my favorite and I do use it often, thanks to you it is now even a better reel.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

Chad/Sal,
Looks great! Chad, I'm happy to see your still working on this project. My daughter's already have "magged" Beachmasters, but I have another one sitting on the dresser that's just begging for me to make it into a surf reel for myself😀  I might have to pick up a 100 tho just in case😎.....
Looking good guys
Brett

swill88

Beautiful reel beautiful upgrade.

Thanks Sal.  Thanks Chad.

mhc

Thanks for the installation tutorial Sal, you make it look easy - even with a 'tender' foot (I've had gout more than a few times and it's not funny)
Nice work with the parts Chad, it looks like the kit could be adapted to most of the reels people cast with.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mike1010

Nice write-up, Sal.  I especially appreciate that you needed to rework tolerances toward the end of the project.  That's real world stuff, not the "This Old House" style: "Perfect!" on the first try.  Good luck with the gout.

Mike

Dominick

Ouch!  Gout hurts.  Don't ask how I know.  Good work on the Mag.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Gout is indeed turble.

Glad this popped back up- I had forgotten Chad made those sweet kits, and it sure was nice to visit with Sal. If you look closely, you will see the wooden drawered cabinets behind his bench. Sal popped open one and it was full of 29-100 spools, and he handed me one as a gift. I'm thinking maybe I ought to mag that reel.