Penn Reels Custom Tool Kit

Started by Spyderman, March 09, 2018, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

I was looking over some of my Penn reel instruction manuals, and I noticed on the back page of catalog 38B, two photos and a description of a 40 piece 'Custom Penn Tool Kit'.  Ad states:

"Penn is now offering a quality custom tool kit featuring all the quality tools and instruments needed for professional repair and service on its reels and downriggers.  This 40 piece kit contains all the top notch, U.S.A. made pieces used by Penn factory personnel every day.  Popular name brands such as Stanley and Armstrong, are characteristic of many tools in the kit, while others are quality made exclusively by Penn for the express purpose of reel repair.  Other pieces include those hard to find, industrial items not easily available from normal wholesale and retail channels.  Packed with a handy laminated hardwood tool holder, the Penn Reels tool kit is available to all serious Penn repair and service centers.  Using the right tools can save you time and money.  Make any repair, service or maintenance job on a Penn reel a cinch with a Penn Reels tool kit."

Has anyone seen one of these tool kits 'in the flesh'?  Do they ever pop up for sale (whole or parts, especially the wood base)?

xjchad

Very cool!  I'd love to have one of those sets!  8) 8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Yogi_fish808

Wow imagine that...a reel company that explicitly is offering tools to keep your reel working vs trying their best to have customers purchase a new one every other season. I would buy one of these, take my money!

Penn

We still use the blocks here at the Factory, however never saw the complete tool set before  ::)

tony

broadway

Always love when one pops up for sale but they don't go cheap and most only have a few tools that are original.
Hey Tony, any chance a new set could be made up with the blocks like the old days?  I'd be in for 4 or 5 sets.
Thanks
Dom

Penn

Quote from: broadway on April 03, 2018, 07:24:43 PM
Always love when one pops up for sale but they don't go cheap and most only have a few tools that are original.
Hey Tony, any chance a new set could be made up with the blocks like the old days?  I'd be in for 4 or 5 sets.
Thanks
Dom

Not sure but I will send to the Brand Team.

tony

swill88

I'm in for a set of good quality Penn tools.

Steve

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Bill B

If Penn ever does make one agiain, I hope they include one of Alan's wrenches.  At the Fred Hall Show this year, the Penn tech was using one at the booth.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I'd settle for sockets or nut drivers for the handle nuts
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Spyderman

Well whaddaya' know, look what popped up on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-Tool-Kit-With-Tools-Circa-1984-Rare-Made-In-The-USA/253709422687?hash=item3b1242905f%3Ag%3Aud0AAOSwEehbMA1P&_sop=1&_pgn=22&_sacat=179950&_nkw=penn&_from=R40&rt=nc.

Seller provided the dimensions of the wood base, so it might not be a stretch to be able to glean the proportions of the three sections to be able to create a reasonable facsimile of the base.

1badf350

Thats been up a while. There was another listing for a tool kit wood block only. Sold July 12. Thought maybe one of you guys bought it
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

Pretty neat but maybe over priced.  Looks like most of the original tools went elsewhere over time.... except for the handle nut wrenches which would not be useful for anything else around the house.  I doubt that Penn had a tire plug tool in the original kit.  For the price he wants, it would have been worth the sellers time to try to find tools that look like what is in the catalog.
-steve

Spyderman

Steve, I agree, for the money the seller is asking, I would've expected more original, correct tools to accompany the wood base.  I'm hoping Tony has success sharing the idea of reproducing these tool sets with the Penn Brand Team.

foakes

Mine works pretty well — use it multiple times every day.

EXTREMELY HANDY...

Made from scraps found in the wood shop.

Only purchase was a ball bearing lazy Susan assembly for $5 at the hardware store.

Had everything else just lying around.

Only thing I had left after making it was $995 still in my wallet.

😀😀😀

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.