rebuild of a favorite

Started by droppedit, March 09, 2018, 03:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

This is an old 7'-0" Diawa composite rod rated for 50lb line. My wife bought it for me around 35 years ago to replace a custom rod that was stolen. It was a nice shelf rod but I really needed to change the guides so sent it to a shop to have it done. Turned out to be a horrible job and I knew I could do better. So this is the rod that started it all. I made my own winding jig and finishing motor and had the rod I wanted. Since then I haven't used this rod much as I've had many other toys to play with so it only gets used early Spring for the red-fish (ocean perch). This winter I decided to give it a new life but kept the guides, seat, and rear grip. Looking forward to using it in about 3 weeks.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

mrwilson99

David

bluefish69

Dave

You always have done nice work on the rods that I have seen at Eastman's.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

oldmanjoe

Beautiful thread work !!!!!!!        joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

really clean job, love the decorative cross wrap (im still avoiding going that route)

Quote from: droppedit on March 09, 2018, 03:51:07 PM
........I really needed to change the guides so sent it to a shop to have it done. Turned out to be a horrible job and I knew I could do better. So this is the rod that started it all.

LOL, different names, different countries but same stories, exactly the same happened to me on a 5.8ft xxh trevala rod, I bouth a XXH trevala for cheap cuz it was missing 3 ceramic rings, I sent it to my city near to my town to fix it, I spend to have it shipped, fixed and waited almost 2 months to have it back and the job had a lot to desire, one ceramic ring pop out again on a fishing trip (wondering if they were chinese knockoffs) so, I said thats it, I will fix it myselft took all the new guides, bought some good quality set of fuji Sic guides for the  rod and now works wonders, but now I have no life, no weekends and no sleep fixing rods for friends and others ;D ;D (naah, just joking in the last part) but thats the rod that started it all on my part.

The Baja Guy

droppedit

Quote from: steelfish on March 09, 2018, 08:11:58 PM
really clean job, love the decorative cross wrap (im still avoiding going that route)

I've avoided them for years and usually only do them when I have time on my hands. Nothing worse than being almost done then braking a thread while packing it tighter. It always is a thread in an area that will show so you have to unwind the whole thing back and start over. Glad I don't drink or I'd be in rehab after a couple of those ;)

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Shark Hunter

Nice Work Dave. That looks really Nice.
Life is Good!

Carl L

I really don't know anything about custom wrapping on rods, was that origionally (back in the old days) designed to add strength; or just for beauty ? It sure looks great..  (I mean the criss-cross thread under the clear)

54bullseye

Looks real nice Dave !! Probably won't make you any better at catching Red fish though Lol !!!  Nice work !   John Taylor

Ron Jones

Quote from: Carl L on March 10, 2018, 07:12:15 AM
I really don't know anything about custom wrapping on rods, was that origionally (back in the old days) designed to add strength; or just for beauty ? It sure looks great..  (I mean the criss-cross thread under the clear)

Diamond wraps just give the artist a way to express her/him self (can you tell that I'm back in school?) BS! They look cool. Originally, there needed to be some kind of check to whip the grip material to the cane, but today it's just someone's version of the Mona Lisa.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"