Ranking Newells

Started by CFish, March 09, 2018, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

After owning a bunch of these bulletproof but simple reels I was wondering how the Newell enthusiasts would rank each Newell series from best to worst (G-series, P-series, S-series, no letter etc)???

Vintage Offshore Tackle

IMO, C series is the worst.  I personally prefer an older G with the stainless jack lever and clicker to the P series, but I think that most Newell fans would rate the P as first choice, and the P series was available in larger sizes than the G.  I have had good luck with the older S and "no letter" reels too, so long as they have the stainless bearing cups on both sides and don't have the long screws that go all of the way through the bars.  That's just my two cents, based upon what I have seen buying used reels.  I'm sure that you are going to get lots of different opinions from people with more expertise and experience servicing these reels than me.

Swami805

I'm with Randy, if I had to pick just one it would be the 1st run G332 with the stainless jack and clicker or any G from that time. P's are nice because of the all aluminum construction but are more prone to corrosion and the heavier spool somewhat limits free spool.The P's and blackies also came with a 4 stack drag  The early blackies have nice internals but with no trim rings are prone to cracking. No letters are fine, one of my favorites is a no letter 440 for casting 40lb, they also mostly have 2 dogs which the other smaller newells don't. The C's are frowned upon due to the long screws which are prone to corrosion and have one small plastic bearing cap, although I have a few and they work ok. The S came in several variations of screws and bearing caps but good reels in the right configuration.
Things change on the 500 & 600 series with bigger gears, more drag washers, and more choices of gear ratios. Same holds true to avoid the ones with the long screws and single bearing cap. They did make a P series 533 at the bitter end of newell which can be tough to find but a nice reel.
There's colored newells too which are a whole other universe but the same inside as the black ones.
Good reels that won't die and I think easier to work on than penns which for me is a big factor since I wasn't born with that mechanical gene. Most of the parts interchange too which is a big plus.
Like most on here things tend to get out of hand a bit, I bought 3 more this week, couldn't help it, like a moth to a flame.
Then there's the Hawaii California thing, In Hawaii the wider the better in California it's all about narrow.
If you're looking at a particular reel PM Me or the resident Newell expert Newellnut.
If you do a quick search there's a great history of newells sticked on here, I'd post a link but haven't figured that out yet.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

They did some strange things with Cs and Ss. Cs came with short screws and they also came with long screws. Nobody I know likes long screws. If they had been more corrosion resistant they would be okay. It was just the wrong material. Some Ss also have the long screws. This is why I never buy unless I can see a picture of the left side of the reel. Two types of long screws. On some reels the left head was slick. On some reels the long screw was a Phillips and the handle side sleeves will have a slot. If Phillips on both sides you are safe and slotted heads on both sides are safe.

Dwight

Swami805

Anyone know how many 322 models were made? I know the  blackie, p ,g no letter with red trim, 300 with the white box. Was there a c or s?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

I have 3 no letters and one G322. Do not recall seeing a C or S anywhere. I know they had Ps.

Tightlines667

I have only owned S  400, 500, and 600 series and have been happy with all of them.  They all had SS caps, and I upgraded the frames, spools, and lever.  Seems like there are more Ps available for sale here, though there are quite a few no letter as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mark d

i have a g229 and a g220 for surfcasting and i think they are the coolest little reels going. to me the design is superior