A brown Penn 711

Started by The Jim, March 10, 2018, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jim

Can I E-mail someone pics?

philaroman

Quote from: The Jim on March 13, 2018, 11:09:31 PM
How do you post pictures? I tried to copy and paste but couldn't.

use the Reply, instead of Quick-Reply
OR
select Preview, instead of Post

...either way takes you to the full-option Reply
then, under Additional Options, use Attach: [Choose File]
& find/select the photo file(s) on your computer

sdlehr

Jim, you can email me pics and I can post for you. s(dot)d(dot)lehr(at)comcast(dot)net (you can't be too careful with all the spam bots around these days.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Jim

Haere are a couple of pictures.

oc1

Could it be a 711Z that was left out in the sun to fade or was painted?
-steve

The Jim

711Z has a plastic cover. This one is metal.
The inside is brown also. It is definitely painted brown from the factory.  I don't think it's worth much, except to fish with. I'm guessing it originally had silver and white handle and spool.

handi2

I know there were black ones. Ive had them. This is odd...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Jim

It looks a little better than in the pictures, but not a collection quality reel be any meens. Works great! But curiousity is killing me! I wander if it originally had a silver and white handle? And the spool? The old drag disk are creamy smouth., and the anti reverse is not than loud.  But I can't get the handle off! I'm fearful of breaking it.

nelz

Looks like faded, weathered black. Probably left outside for a long time.

Did you turn the handle backwards to remove it? If it's stuck, that's more evidence that's it's been left out in the elements. Try a little solvent to loosen it. WD40, etc.

foakes

That is the light metallic bronze color that they had on the 720Z & 722Z, with gold components.

To get the handle off — it unscrews the opposite way from the positive crank position.

However, if stuck — instead of using the soft aluminum crank to torque it loose — remove the crank and cranknut — then use a phillips screwdriver in the hole to remove it.  Should come right off with no damage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Jim

No, it's not weathered black. The insides are brown. If it was weathered, the sticker wouldn't be in that good of a condition. They made brown one's, I just can't get any info on how many, or when.

oc1

Quote from: The Jim on March 29, 2018, 06:37:12 PM
They made brown one's, I just can't get any info on how many, or when.
I think Fred's photo sort of resolves it.  They made at least one brown/bronze 711Z.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on March 29, 2018, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: The Jim on March 29, 2018, 06:37:12 PM
They made brown one's, I just can't get any info on how many, or when.
I think Fred's photo sort of resolves it.  They made at least one brown/bronze 711Z.
-steve

I agree with Steve. They did some different color variation tests about that time, maybe this is one of them during a transition from "greenie" to Z.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Jim

Transition? Ok. How old would that put it? Would it have had silver and hardware originally?

(pic) of inside, side cover, metal.

The Jim

Thanks to everyone for putting up with all my questions!