A brown Penn 711

Started by The Jim, March 10, 2018, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jim

How old would a Penn 711, painted brown be? How rare is it?

Carl L

Apparently 35 to 75 bucks on ebay. More with condition/box/paperwork.. good reel but not that rare.

The Jim

Thankyou for your response.
It's not in  condition for collecting. But assumed it was a rare color. Can't find any info on this. How do you tell the approximate age? It is in perfect working order.

Carl L

Heck, just enjoy it. Pm frank, he'll know its exact age, but late 1960's to more likely early 70's.. ive seen a few on ebay, and though unusual, not that rare..

The Jim

You're right.  : ) 
Thanks again.

handi2

I dont think its worth too much being painted. They did make a black 710 for how long i dont know. Only a year or so.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Jim

I didn't paint it. It was painted brown from Penn.

Alto Mare

Quote from: The Jim on March 11, 2018, 02:23:50 AM
I didn't paint it. It was painted brown from Penn.
That would make it extremely rare, well to me anyway. I've never seen one.

...any pics?...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Ive never heard of a brown 710 or 711 spinfisher. Only green, black, and black and gold. I was fishing before they came out.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I'm with Keith and think the green paint chipped off (as they all do) then someone painted it brown.  Painting old Spinfishers is sort of a thing and some people take the time properly prep and cure so their paint job can be as good as factory.  Personally, I prefer the green chipped paint.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Penn never made any brown production reels during that era. They did make a smooth black 710 & 711, and a black textured 710, both of which are sort of rare. The only possible way a brown reel came from the factory would be if it walked out in someone's lunch box or was an experimental color and sold during the 2003 Martha Henz Egly Collection Auction. There's no documentation that such a reel was sold at that auction. I would estimate there's a 99.99% chance that brown 711 mentioned above is a repaint. Generally, repaints have little to no collector value. Their main value would be what ever they are worth to someone who wants to fish them.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Jim

You can tell it's factory paint. Actually someone painted it black and did a bad job. I removed the black and none of the brown came off. I have seen refferances of brown ones on the net, but no info on it. Its in great working order, and decent looking. No emblem. I'll try to get a pic of it.

nelz

I never heard of a brown one either, but just found this posted on Scott's B&T:  "Early 1960's models of the Spinfisher series were green, blue, brown or black. Green seems to be the color seen the most in the older reels, with white and silver cosmetics on the handle/drag knob/spool. We think the blue and brown models might have been special orders for sale at large department stores at the time. "

Midway Tommy

Quote from: The Jim on March 13, 2018, 12:45:32 AM
You can tell it's factory paint. Actually someone painted it black and did a bad job. I removed the black and none of the brown came off. I have seen refferances of brown ones on the net, but no info on it. Its in great working order, and decent looking. No emblem. I'll try to get a pic of it.

Penn made a few early 720Z & 722Z reels in metallic brown but none in other models that I'm aware of. Post some closeup photos of the inside and outside of your reel so we can all view what you are referencing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Jim

How do you post pictures? I tried to copy and paste but couldn't.