Cerakoted my Original Penn International 12

Started by Tightlines667, March 10, 2018, 07:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Some 3 months back, I purchased a prestine, original Penn International 12 from Ted.  Randy helped me out with a hard-to-find Tiburon frame for the reel.  

When I received the reel and frame, I quickly broke it down and tossed the parts in jars w/50:50 simple green:water and into my sonic cleaner for 15minutes.  As soon as I pulled them out, I realized my mistake.  

Most of the beautiful gold anodizing had come off, and my reel and frame appeared ruined.  

After calling around and doing some online researching, I decided to have a local gun shop CeraKote the frame, side plates, spool, and cooling shield.  Anodizing was not an easy option since tye spool shadt is pressed into the spool in this model, and it would damage the parts if all of the pressed in SS parts remained in place.   I could have sent it to Reel Colors to properly press/mask SS parts and anodize, but the cost was more then I wanted to spend.  Powder coating was cheaper, but would it leave a pretty thick coating that might mess up my tolerances.  Dipping seemed too expensive as well.  

After getting a quote from a local gun shop, and discussing options, I dropped the reel off, and ordered an offset SS handle arm, an offset 4/0 AT handle, a laminated CF disc (6-300LD), 2 new bearings (55-6), 2 heavy (18H-300LD)& 2 light (18L-300LD) Bellevilles, and a suitable spool of 65lb solid core, multicolor Diawa J-braid.  I bought a Shimano Talavera 6'6" 50-100lb, medium heavy, fast action rod (TEC66MHB) for $50 on sale.   All told, I have ~$370 into the reel, frame, parts, Cerakoting, line, and rod.

Well, after waiting for 3 months (the CeraKote guy was traveling off island), I finally got my reel parts back today.  

I am happy overall with the job, though I think it would have looked cooler to do the handle arm, and all chrome parts the same color as the spool, the guy suggested against it.

I spent about an hour prepping, lubing, and assembling the reel.  It still needs a bit of tweaking to get the crank smooth, improve freespool, and get the drag curve I am looking for, but I think I am going to be happy with the result.  I intend to spool the reel with 65lb braid, and run a 40 or 50lb floro topshot.  The reel will be used to target small tuna, Mahi, and Skipjack on live bait, chunking, popping flys, light poping plug (slow trolling), and some light jigging.  Basically, I just want to have a lightweight rig to try to catch some 15-30lb tuna on.  

I will post final drag/freespool numbers once I get it tuned up.  

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

That's a "Wow and Great Save" from me John.
I know you will get it tuned up to perform as you want it.
Enjoy it!

mhc

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 10, 2018, 09:31:52 AM
That's a "Wow and Great Save" from me John.
I know you will get it tuned up to perform as you want it.
Enjoy it!

x 2 - The matte black and contrasting green looks great.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

That was a nice save! Usually things happen for a reason, I like it just as I see it...enjoy it John.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

That turned out super cool! A true one of a kind reel

STRIPER LOU

John, that looks great!!

Funny thing is if you wanted to remove that anodizing, it more than likely wouldn't have been an easy process. Sometimes it has to be chalked up too, plain ole bad luck.

Great save, looks super, and will look even better after its had a few fish under its hood!

.................Regard's,  ..  Lou

Keta

Nice!  

Cerakote is nasty stuff it apply but it is tough.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Great looking reel :)
Did the Cerokote affect tolerances - like when fitting the frame together - or is it a super thin coating?

mo65

I was almost in tears John 'til I scrolled further down and saw that Cerokoting.
Top shelf! The flat black/green colors work great together...it has a serious ol' hot rod vibe...great save!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

wow, nice come bacok of the reel, back to the fight it goes.

John, I looking forward to know your drag numbers once you tune up the reel
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Winner Chicken Dinner....I would have been sick to my stomach, but seeing the final product, I call that a win!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel 224

That is a nice catch! Now go out an catch one for the Gipper.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

John thats super cool. Are you getting more than 12lbs of drag? Would the original bellville's be better?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

I have one with a topless frame I had Cal 2 speed before penn did it. Used it on long range trips for wahoo and dorado. Several times I'd go the rack to get it only to find the skipper had pinched it and was fishing it. He liked it better than his bait rod and what can you do,he's the skipper? Great reel,mine just came back from Bryan for servicing,smooth as can be, Thanks Bryan!
Do what you can with that you have where you are