Diawa Saltiga Star - Need Replacement

Started by TannerCortes, January 09, 2018, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TannerCortes

Hi Team

I think I stripped my Saltiga 20 star.  I probably overtightened because I need to add a washer or shim to the gear collar, ran out of threads.

Need to find/order a replacement.

Thanks
Hans

Bryan Young

Quote from: TannerCortes on January 09, 2018, 11:13:44 PM
Hi Team

I think I stripped my Saltiga 20 star.  I probably overtightened because I need to add a washer or shim to the gear collar, ran out of threads.

Thanks
Hans

Hi Hans,

If you stripped the threads of the star, adding shims will not help. I have seen on the lower gear sleeves stripped but the upper area is just fine. A good way to test the star is the screw on the star without any spaces and shims, star clicker and the like. Once screwed on wobble or try to wobble the star in ever single direction. If it wobbles I one or more directions, your star will likely need replacing. Next inspect your gear sleeve with the reel unassembled.  That mat need replacing.

Of the few dozen or so Daiwa saltiga reels that I had serviced, I haven't replaced a star yet. I had replaced several gear sleeves sue to stripping.

Good luck in your investigation.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TannerCortes

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 09, 2018, 11:25:35 PM
Quote from: TannerCortes on January 09, 2018, 11:13:44 PM
Hi Team

Thanks
Hans

Hi Hans,

If you stripped the threads of the star, adding shims will not help. I have seen on the lower gear sleeves stripped but the upper area is just fine. A good way to test the star is the screw on the star without any spaces and shims, star clicker and the like. Once screwed on wobble or try to wobble the star in ever single direction. If it wobbles I one or more directions, your star will likely need replacing. Next inspect your gear sleeve with the reel unassembled.  That mat need replacing.

Of the few dozen or so Daiwa saltiga reels that I had serviced, I haven't replaced a star yet. I had replaced several gear sleeves sue to stripping.

Good luck in your investigation.

Bryan

Hi, thanks for reply Bryan.

Yeah, the star is wobbling in all directions.  mostly on the bottom part of the gear sleeve, so i guess I need that as well.

ANy idea where to source both parts?
Thanks

Bryan Young

Daiwa should have the Parts. The are in Santa Ana, CA.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TannerCortes

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 10, 2018, 01:29:10 AM
Daiwa should have the Parts. The are in Santa Ana, CA.

Thanks Bryan.
Will give them a ring.

MarkT

Daiwa is in Cerritos. Sav-on Tackle in Santa Fe Springs is a warranty center, maybe that's what you were thinking about.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Oh yeah. Maybe I was thinking of Shimano but likely Tiburon

MarkT

Yeah, Tiburon is in Santa Ana. Shimano is in a Irvine between where I live and work.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

TannerCortes

Quote from: MarkT on January 10, 2018, 02:55:16 AM
Yeah, Tiburon is in Santa Ana. Shimano is in a Irvine between where I live and work.

Hey, I work very near Shimano!!!  LOL!