Started by ChileRelleno, March 11, 2018, 01:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

The Menu
Butter Basted Grilled Mangrove Snapper
Homemade Yellow Rice
Mega ABTs Stuffed With Cheesy Rice

Meg ABTs with Cheesy Rice
Roasted Pablano chiles, skinned and then stuffed with my homemade yellow rice combined with generous amounts of shredded Chihuahua cheese.
Wrapped in bacon and then smoked over Hickory at 325°-350°

Homemade Yellow Rice
3C brown rice / 3C water / 3C chicken broth
1/2C each chopped onion, yellow/green bell pepper and 1/4C cilantro
3t salt, 2t ground turmeric, 1t each cumin, paprika and garlic powders
(ideally I'd use Saffron for yellow rice, but its so damned expensive)

Butter Basted Grilled Mangrove Snapper
Fresh Mangrove Snapper, well salted inside and out
Grill on high heat basting with lots of butter

The Finale!
The ABTs stole the show!
The combination of chiles, bacon and cheesy yellow rice was incredibly delicious

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

mo65

Those bacon wrapped Pablanos are speaking to me...two thumbs up Chile! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ChileRelleno

Quote from: mo65 on March 11, 2018, 02:45:30 AM
   Those bacon wrapped Pablanos are speaking to me...two thumbs up Chile! 8)
Thanks Mo... When you try them you'll be talking back to'em...  "Get in Mah Belly!"
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

Hop a flight to San Jose, Ca. March 30 Bring sunglasses and a hat I'll pick you up at the airport and drop you back off on April 2nd.

Alto Mare

Always a great dish fro chile!

A friend once told me not to scale the fish if I was going to grill it, just to salt the inside as you did.
He mentioned that the skin would peel off as a piece of cardboard, leaving the meat nice and full.
He was right, I've been doing it ever since. Of course you would need to drizzle what you prefer on top afterwards, but I enjoy it best that way.

Great job as usual John.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

Another winner Chile!

Sal, what you say is true about not scaling the fish....unless you like to eat the crunchy skin like I do. One of the best parts on a Snapper and many other species IMO.

Scott

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 11, 2018, 02:14:09 PM
Always a great dish fro chile!

A friend once told me not to scale the fish if I was going to grill it, just to salt the inside as you did.
He mentioned that the skin would peel off as a piece of cardboard, leaving the meat nice and full.
He was right, I've been doing it ever since. Of course you would need to drizzle what you prefer on top afterwards, but I enjoy it best that way.

Great job as usual John.

Sal
Quote from: conchydong on March 11, 2018, 02:40:55 PM
Another winner Chile!

Sal, what you say is true about not scaling the fish....unless you like to eat the crunchy skin like I do. One of the best parts on a Snapper and many other species IMO.

Scott
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments.

Yes'sir Sal,
scales on is a great way to cook whole fish, especially hard to scale fish.
We use this for Bull Redfish, Redfish on the halfshell it is called.
Split the fish down the middle and cook it skin side down, scales on, and it served skin on, the skin serves as it's platter.

But like Scott, I like crunchy fish skin and sometimes fins too.

As the skin breaks open and/or peels back is when I start adding lemon/lime juice, butter or other flavor enhancers.
Ragnar Benson: