Early Vintage Stationar Rolle Quick Standard D.A.M. Berlin SW68 Salesman Sample

Started by foakes, March 11, 2018, 06:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is an interesting old example of a SW68 Standard.

This was a salesman sample with the metal sideplate replaced with clear plastic to reveal and demonstrate the mechanics for tackle shops and potential customers.

Shortly after WWII, in order for peaceful commerce & manufacturing to resume — West Germany was divided into quadrants and numbered areas.  A permit was required in order to prove that a certain company was allowed to manufacture goods.

So D.A.M. just decided the easiest way was to also state their approved area on their reels.

These were manufactured in the South West quadrant, Area 68.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Interesting reel Fred. This early D.A.M. reel has the Mitchell C.A.P./Crack style gearing. I don't see an anti-reverse lever on it. Thanks for sharing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Sorry, Mike —

The A/R and clicker was under the crank.

It is all metal, spring loaded, and directly interacts with the underside of the main gear.

Most of the exterior parts are German Silver.

The bail takes (2) opposite wound bail springs under the GS domed caps that screw onto each side of the rotor.

Some parts were partially manufactured at their main plant after it was rebuilt from the allied bombing, in Gunzenhausen — and D.A.M. also completed some of the reels in Berlin to accomodate paperwork and shipping.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Yeah, thanks Fred. Have the same reel, 'cept it's gotta flat-on-2 sides handle knob. Now I know 'bout the "SW 68". That anti-reverse is a powerful lookin unit from on the inside.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SilverRidge

amazing info Fred, talking to you is like going to Reel college ( wherever that is ) just so happened that recently acquired this unusual looking reel, I may have asked you about it b4, usual as it is wondering how many where made and what is the value of the reel, I've never seen that model offered for sale ..
Thanks again Fred

Paul,

foakes

These Standard models were produced from '37 to '56.  Serial numbers started in '52.  A little over 90,000 were produced in the 5 years from '52 through '56.  In '56, the Finessa, which is the forerunner to the 330 — started with serial numbers beginning at 100,000.

The material is some sort of plexiglas or plastic, Sheridan — and is even beveled on the edge so as to be smooth and a perfect, sealed fit.

Value is just what the average is on ebay of sold items.  All of these old guys will go up in value — like any older, vintage, quality reels.

Many of the '68's and Standards never made it across the pond from Europe.  So US finds are really not all that common.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

The handle knob and "Quick" only indicates that reel is one of the earlier versions after Dam added the anti-reverse, i.e. '50-'53 time frame. You don't see many of those with the round knob, let alone salesman samples.

Nice discovery, Fred!   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cubby1973

I just got one of these a week or so ago. Got all cleaned and lubed. Very smooth! I'll try and remember to post a pic when I get off work tonight. Trying to decide if I want to paint or not. We'll see.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

For me, it is honestly not about the reels, parts, or money...

It is about the people who enjoy the classic and well-proven vintage reels.

And more importantly, being able to provide a little part or a complete reel here and there — to help rekindle those wonderful memories of their earlier exploits, trips, and angling adventures.

I have been fortunate enough to amass more NOS parts for older or obsolete reels than anyone can imagine.

My specialization is of course, Penn — but my primary little niche is spinners from around 1950 through the early 80's.  These are Penn, Mitchell, DAM Quick, ABU, Zebco, Shakespeare, Daiwa, and a few others.

And I enjoy sharing with folks who appreciate these reels.

It is always nice to get thoughtful "Thank Yous" for assisting in providing complete restored reels or just a part or two from folks who never thought their reel could be put back in service.

There was a grown son living in Toronto, who wanted to see if I could provide a pair of DAM Quick 331's for his father living in Yugoslavia.  The Dad was elderly, and his (2) reels that he used for 40-50 pound Carp in the canals — had been stolen years before.  And no proper replacements could be found.

Son got in touch with me — I built out the reels — shipped them to Canada — the Son flew to Germany where his Sister lived for Christmas — she then drove the reels to her father in Yugoslavia — about 600 miles.  Got a pic of him holding the two reels — with a look of wonder on his face.

Another time, about 11 years ago — a friend on another site had a friend who needed a crank handle for his old DAM Quick SW68 purchased in 1951.  Never figured he could get a handle — had tried local tackle shops.  I sent him a NOS crank handle at no charge — and I got back the nicest letter and photos.

Turns out, Alfred had lost his wife 5 years previously — and he sent me photos of her feeding their "pet carp" mashed potatoes in their private pond.

The gentleman was a Doctor living in Lawrenceburg, Indiana — and passed on last year at 94.

He may have passed on — but I know that old SW68 that brought him so many memories and joy — is still kicking.

This is what makes this site great — the people — not so much the reels.

We never know what others on our site are going through — family, medical, financial, depression, employment issues, and more — but the reels and tackle are what brings us together — and in turn we learn a little more about each other's struggles — and are able to hopefully lessen the load, maybe just a little bit.

Some folks get it — some don't — and that's OK...

Sounds corny, I know — but if we think about it — it makes a lot of sense...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Dominick

I always said you are the best Fred.  Now can you figure out how to put mashed potatoes on a hook?   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for sharing that Fred. I definitely get it!
When I was younger, My Uncle and grandpa taught me all about fishing, hunting and shooting.
My uncle was really into fly fishing, but I never saw the appeal.
When I was stationed in Scotland, I bought them both a hardy fly reel.
They were very expensive in the states. I know they cherish them to this day.
Life is Good!

Cubby1973

Finally got around to taking pics of my SW68! Only issue, other than the paint is the ratchet gear under the spool spins so the drag click is not functional. Any suggestions on the remedy?

Thanks
Jeff

Captain64-200

Quote from: foakes on February 06, 2019, 07:26:06 PM
For me, it is honestly not about the reels, parts, or money...

It is about the people who enjoy the classic and well-proven vintage reels.

And more importantly, being able to provide a little part or a complete reel here and there — to help rekindle those wonderful memories of their earlier exploits, trips, and angling adventures.

I have been fortunate enough to amass more NOS parts for older or obsolete reels than anyone can imagine.

My specialization is of course, Penn — but my primary little niche is spinners from around 1950 through the early 80's.  These are Penn, Mitchell, DAM Quick, ABU, Zebco, Shakespeare, Daiwa, and a few others.

And I enjoy sharing with folks who appreciate these reels.

It is always nice to get thoughtful "Thank Yous" for assisting in providing complete restored reels or just a part or two from folks who never thought their reel could be put back in service.

There was a grown son living in Toronto, who wanted to see if I could provide a pair of DAM Quick 331's for his father living in Yugoslavia.  The Dad was elderly, and his (2) reels that he used for 40-50 pound Carp in the canals — had been stolen years before.  And no proper replacements could be found.

Son got in touch with me — I built out the reels — shipped them to Canada — the Son flew to Germany where his Sister lived for Christmas — she then drove the reels to her father in Yugoslavia — about 600 miles.  Got a pic of him holding the two reels — with a look of wonder on his face.

Another time, about 11 years ago — a friend on another site had a friend who needed a crank handle for his old DAM Quick SW68 purchased in 1951.  Never figured he could get a handle — had tried local tackle shops.  I sent him a NOS crank handle at no charge — and I got back the nicest letter and photos.

Turns out, Alfred had lost his wife 5 years previously — and he sent me photos of her feeding their "pet carp" mashed potatoes in their private pond.

The gentleman was a Doctor living in Lawrenceburg, Indiana — and passed on last year at 94.

He may have passed on — but I know that old SW68 that brought him so many memories and joy — is still kicking.

This is what makes this site great — the people — not so much the reels.

We never know what others on our site are going through — family, medical, financial, depression, employment issues, and more — but the reels and tackle are what brings us together — and in turn we learn a little more about each other's struggles — and are able to hopefully lessen the load, maybe just a little bit.

Some folks get it — some don't — and that's OK...

Sounds corny, I know — but if we think about it — it makes a lot of sense...

Best,

Fred

I totally agree . It's about life . Thank you Fred ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

Cubby1973

Decided since all the painting things were out I'd go ahead and give this one a quick cleaning and paint touch-up.

Thanks
Jeff