Tranx 400 HG Issue

Started by Jnorris, March 13, 2018, 02:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jnorris

I bought a new Tranx 400 HG and noticed that the handle doesn't turn as freely as expected. This is a new reel so I removed the spool and serviced the spool bearings with TSI 321 (removed bearing shield cleaned and properly lubed then replaced bearing shield). After assembling I noticed that friction appears when the spool side plate is installed. However if I press the cast button the spool turns freely so the friction is only felt when turning the handle. If I release the left side plate and back it off slightly then the handle turns free. It's almost like the fit is 1mm too tight but nothing is shimmed so I don't see how to make an adjustment.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas? I hate to send this back to Shimano if this is normal or if there's an easy fix.

swill88

Great question Jnorris.  My buddy asked me the same about his 400 and hope  to hear some answers before he sends it to me.

Steve

Corroded

I just had a similar issue with my calcutta that i fixed. My issue occurred when i put the thicker aftermarket drag in my reel. Try moving the anti reverse bearing slightly in more. Just use a properly sized socket that rests only on the metal frame of the bearing. When i did this it gave me more room internally and resulted in a smooth retrieve.

Cor

Quote from: Corroded on March 13, 2018, 06:11:28 AM
I just had a similar issue with my calcutta that i fixed. My issue occurred when i put the thicker aftermarket drag in my reel. Try moving the anti reverse bearing slightly in more. Just use a properly sized socket that rests only on the metal frame of the bearing. When i did this it gave me more room internally and resulted in a smooth retrieve.
Over the years i've occasionally had this problem with different reels.   Mostly it was a case of friction between the main gear/drag stack and the body because of modifications, incorrect spacers/washers or even the washer below the main gear.
Cornelis

Jnorris

Thanks for the tips Cor and Corroded. I finally figured out that the problem was my spool. When I removed and reinserted the spool pin the end got a little deformed because my spool pin pliers were loose and slipped a couple times. It was enough that it kept my spool from inserting completely into the pawl gear. What had me confused was the spool's free spin was still good in cast mode... the handle just turned with some resistance when cranking. I noticed after fixing the spool pin there wasn't any spring resistance when installing the side cover over the spool... originally you could feel it compressing the pawl gear springs a little when installing the cover. Hope this makes sense for anyone else who runs into this problem.