Saltwater behind the spool

Started by grekim, March 13, 2018, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on March 14, 2018, 07:00:48 PM
As you say, it is inevitable that seawater will get behind the spool despite whatever is done to make it water tight.  If you have free spool then you have water access.  The quick and easy way to deal with the seawater is to flush it out with freshwater.  

So, why not embrace the inevitable and make drain holes and flushing holes in the side plates?  Or, just perforate everything?  Not a Penn, but you get the idea:

-steve

Forget seawater, Steve.  What about sand, seed pods, fish scales and insects?  ;D :o ::) :P  A child could lose a finger playing with that!

All in good fun... hope you don't mind, Steve.

/Joe

oc1

oh... I forgot....  You can also grind pepper corns.  Just hold it over your salad and crank.  :)
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on March 15, 2018, 04:02:04 AM
oh... I forgot....  You can also grind pepper corns.  Just hold it over your salad and crank.  :)
-steve

You are a great sport Steve.  Very funny.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bhale1

Actually, Steve could probably turn a pepper grinder into a reel😁
He's done more difficult rebuilds than that.....and he could probably get a smooth drag at the same time! Catch, spice, season and grill....
Brett

ez2cdave

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 14, 2018, 03:00:38 AMAfter a salt water trip all rods with attached reels go into the shower with me for a good warm water rinse.  Then outside for a drip dry.  Bill

The neighbors ought to "love" that, Bill - LOL !

BTW - I put my rods in the shower, too, and then take them outside.

Tight Lines

Decker

Quote from: bhale1 on March 15, 2018, 04:37:38 AM
Actually, Steve could probably turn a pepper grinder into a reel😁
He's done more difficult rebuilds than that.....and he could probably get a smooth drag at the same time! Catch, spice, season and grill....
Brett

If I were marooned on a dessert island, Steve!

grekim

That is neat!  Is that a cork spool?  Looks like birch bark.
Educating fish on every trip

oc1

Decker

Steve is a living national treasure, seriously.

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on March 15, 2018, 04:02:04 AM
-steve

Steve,

Check these out !

Tight Lines !

grekim

So, I have gotten into the habit of dropping the reel into a bucket of H2O (and removing it in a timely fashion!).  For a Surfmaster I will pull it open to dry since this is quick to do.  What do you think about the 209's and Longbeaches.  Should I remove one of the plates every time or is a few shakes good enough?  And I also worry about water of any sort in the bearings.

Brewcrafter

Grekim - You (like me) are overthinking this.  As a lad working boats at the end of the day we would hose down our rental rods/reels, and those old Penn's are probably still going 20 years later.  Give your gear a good freshwater rinse at the end of a trip.  No, don't use the pressure washer.  It will be fine.  Unless you were surf fishing and dropped your reel into the primordial soup of grit and sand, I personally think pulling sideplates every trip is way overkill (once a year- maybe).  Set your gear up the way the wise folks on this forum recommend.  But don't stress: that stock Penn "Out of the Box" 30 (or whatever years ago) was not designed to be torn apart every trip, they were made with a "wash and go" in mind.  The folks on this forum are the best and are GREAT with advise and upgrades, but the bottom line is that if your reel is working great - ENJOY IT don't stress about it!  And now the hypocrite in me is going to go put that great 5 stack CF drag that Alan sent me into my 113H...

grekim

Thanks Brewcrafter!  Yeah, I think I will pull it apart once or twice a year for the complete regreasing and spray it down after a trip.   Gotta keep this fun at all times!  One thing I had been doing before the bucket dunk was running the line through a PVC T-pipe in a bucket of water with a heavy pipe fitting to weigh it down.  I will post a picture if anyone is interested.  But, it got the salt off the line and allowed me to clean the inside of the spool.  This helps with the visible part of the spool, not behind as I was originally posting about.