April first opener... gear? here come the new guy questions

Started by rogan, March 14, 2018, 03:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

seriously, one rig.  that old penn fathom rod and the hotrodded tld star 15/30.  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2018, 04:54:07 PM
seriously, one rig.  that old penn fathom rod and the hotrodded tld star 15/30.  ;D

Don't let him fool you..... Ed's gonna bring the other 9 rods!

theswimmer

Check the prices on a used TLD 15/30.
I have one that makes every trip.
I'd buy two more if I could find them.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

rogan

So I was able to do some additional casting work and I'll be bringing some 16oz cannonballs in addition to the jig heads.  Should have enough to give everyone a couple cannonballs each.  I can also make 12oz cannonballs if you want a smaller size...

rogan

And thanks for the tips on footwear. I hit a local store that "supplies" large motorized farm implements and found these on the clearance rack for 1/2 price.  neoprene lined, which is good for this desert rat who gets cold anytime it dips below 75 degrees. Now I'll stay warm and dry.

pjstevko

Quote from: rogan on March 20, 2018, 03:30:59 AM
And thanks for the tips on footwear. I hit a local store that "supplies" large motorized farm implements and found these on the clearance rack for 1/2 price.  neoprene lined, which is good for this desert rat who gets cold anytime it dips below 75 degrees. Now I'll stay warm and dry.

Those boots will be perfect! 

I wear a pair just like them from a different company and they are very comfortable and warm enough with good socks

rogan

Sweet, thanks for the input. I was planning on wool socks and layers of clothes to adapt to the conditions.  I've never been to the "rock" this early in the year so I don't know the weather conditions.  All my past trips were in June.  Colder in April, or about the same as June?

pjstevko

Quote from: rogan on March 20, 2018, 04:09:27 AM
Sweet, thanks for the input. I was planning on wool socks and layers of clothes to adapt to the conditions.  I've never been to the "rock" this early in the year so I don't know the weather conditions.  All my past trips were in June.  Colder in April, or about the same as June?

Just dress in layers and you'll be fine....

theswimmer

Starting from bottom,

Good high quality sneaker.
Fleece or wool socks.
Quality shorts , nylon or poly etc.
Alan Tani T or equivalent.
Poly fleece Hoody or equivalent.
High quality shell.
High quality watch cap.

I cannot stess the  importance of the shell.
The ability of your gear to shed the wind will allow you to continue to fish while all else retire to the cabin.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

rogan

Quote from: theswimmer on March 21, 2018, 12:53:16 AM
Starting from bottom,

Good high quality sneaker.
Fleece or wool socks.
Quality shorts , nylon or poly etc.
Alan Tani T or equivalent.
Poly fleece Hoody or equivalent.
High quality shell.
High quality watch cap.

I cannot stess the  importance of the shell.
The ability of your gear to shed the wind will allow you to continue to fish while all else retire to the cabin.

Thanks for the suggestions, i got a new waterproof jacket back in nov, so I'll get to try it out.
Although, i don't think i can do the shorts...gotta be pants for me

Swami805

Waterproof boots are almost a must. Dry feet are happy feet. Plus there's always fish spines to contend with. Go right thru sneakers. One mis step and kick a sack of rockfish is a very painful experience could ruin your day/week/month.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

theswimmer

Quote from: Swami805 on March 21, 2018, 02:59:19 PM
Waterproof boots are almost a must. Dry feet are happy feet. Plus there's always fish spines to contend with. Go right thru sneakers. One mis step and kick a sack of rockfish is a very painful experience could ruin your day/week/month.

Good point.

Errol Flynn

rogan

License???  I just read through the Ca government wildlife site checking out the regs for fishing.  There is way too much info.  I think I understand, but I wanna get your guys opinion so I'm doing it right.  I plan on shore fishing Sat, boat trip on Sun, and back to shore fishing on Mon (I really, really, really want to catch a leopard or bat ray). So if I'm reading it correctly, I can buy a 10 day license, get the ocean enhancement stamp, and that allows me to use two poles from the shore?

I want to make sure, because two years ago I fished out of SD on a private boat and was told one rod only at all times by the boat owner.

Swami805

Buy a license, 2 rods is fine from the beach. The regs on how many rods depends on where you are and what your fishing for. The regs are insane, there's a limit on how many sand crabs you can have for bait,how much kelp you can keep and what kind and blah blah blah. Just try and figure it out for the specific thing you're doing. The deckhands will have it dialed in on the boat so no worries there. That book gets thicker every year and can be very confusing.
Do what you can with that you have where you are