Newbie needs direction on Daiwa Saltist BG20H maintenance

Started by docupat, March 14, 2018, 05:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docupat

Hello to all.  I am a new  guy that needs to be pointed in the right direction.  After years of having my reels serviced at my local tackle shop(s) (sometimes unsatisfactorily) I thought I would give a go at basic servicing myself.  I have a few Daiwa STTBG20H Saltists that I would like to service.  I have purchased the replacement spool bearings, bought my TSI 321 and Cal's drag grease.  I am hoping someone can direct me to an applicable tutorial and let me know what other parts or materials (if any) I should consider for my basic servicing.

If I should have posted this somewhere else, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any consideration you give this request.

PL

SoCalAngler

I have a BG20H that I service myself and they're super easy. I don't think that there's a tutorial for that real. If you have the schematics just follow those you can also look at some of the other saltist tutorials the BG will be very close. Just make sure when you reinstall the main gear that the dog stays on the ratchet and on the post.

bhale1

Digital camera😁....take pics every step of the way to reference during reassembly.
Brett

SoCalAngler

Sorry docupat,

I was replying to your question on my phone and not my computer. The BG20H is pretty easy to service if you have worked on a star drag before. If not take it slowly and place the parts in order as they come off the reel so they can be replaced in the same way. The only issue I have had is when replacing the main gear the anti reverse pawl has a issue of not staying place on the ratchet. This pawl has two flanges that go on both sides of the ratchet gear and the pawl has a hole that goes onto a small post on the frame. During assembly the pawl (dog) can and does often pop off the ratchet gear pretty easily. Since the BG's also have a anti reverse bearing you may not notice it when the reel is fully put back together.

If you have any more questions about that reel I'm sure there are many here to help you out.

P.S. In my BG20H I also replaced the right side bushing with a bearing in order to get better freespool, which really didn't do to much.

Right sideplate with the bushing.

Bushing removed.

The bushing with the bearing. I removed one shield from the bearing, cleaned it and lubed it with TSI with little to no effect in freespool to my reel.

After thinking about it a little I was able to get some more freespool with another mod.

docupat

Quote from: bhale1 on March 14, 2018, 06:43:14 PM
Digital camera😁....take pics every step of the way to reference during reassembly.
Brett

Thank you

docupat

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 15, 2018, 02:19:42 AM
Sorry docupat,

I was replying to your question on my phone and not my computer. The BG20H is pretty easy to service if you have worked on a star drag before. If not take it slowly and place the parts in order as they come off the reel so they can be replaced in the same way. The only issue I have had is when replacing the main gear the anti reverse pawl has a issue of not staying place on the ratchet. This pawl has two flanges that go on both sides of the ratchet gear and the pawl has a hole that goes onto a small post on the frame. During assembly the pawl (dog) can and does often pop off the ratchet gear pretty easily. Since the BG's also have a anti reverse bearing you may not notice it when the reel is fully put back together.

If you have any more questions about that reel I'm sure there are many here to help you out.

P.S. In my BG20H I also replaced the right side bushing with a bearing in order to get better freespool, which really didn't do to much.

Right sideplate with the bushing.

Bushing removed.

The bushing with the bearing. I removed one shield from the bearing, cleaned it and lubed it with TSI with little to no effect in freespool to my reel.

After thinking about it a little I was able to get some more freespool with another mod.

Thank you.  did you replace the stock carbon drag with Carbontex?  about the right side bushing...do you know or can you share what is the size of bearing needed to replace that bushing?

SoCalAngler

The stock drags are carbon fiber just not the Carbontex brand and work well. I did do a swap of the drags but the stock ones preformed just as well as the Carbontex. I did have both sets greased with Cal's but I would not do that swap again unless the stock drags were damaged in some way. The bearing for bushing swap really did nothing for my reel either, other than give one more bearing to maintain. I also would not do this swap again either but if you want to it is 3mm X 8mm X 4mm

Reel Beaker

Quote from: bhale1 on March 14, 2018, 06:43:14 PM
Brett

This is the best advice you can give to any one starting to service their own reels.

docupat

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 14, 2018, 05:11:26 PM
I have a BG20H that I service myself and they're super easy. I don't think that there's a tutorial for that real. If you have the schematics just follow those you can also look at some of the other saltist tutorials the BG will be very close. Just make sure when you reinstall the main gear that the dog stays on the ratchet and on the post.

Any tips on removing the spool pin?  Same question for replacing......if I ever get it out.  I am having a devil of a time removing the pin!