One Reel

Started by Rivverrat, March 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on March 15, 2018, 03:25:52 PM
  This would be an agonizing job for my single reel...as it would have to be small enough to handle panfish lines and lures...yet strong enough to land catfish and hybrid stripers...and be fast enough to fish for LM bass. I don't know what reel this would be...but if I figure it out I'm buyin' a dozen of them! 8)

Exactly why I chose & just love my Penn Torque star drags. I have 2 in the 12 size. 200 yards of 60 braid they will fish 20 lbs. of drag maybe a little more with out straining the components one bit. I've caught perch, striper, walleye, carp over 25 lbs. & catfish past 60 lbs. on them. These reels can keep up distance wise with a lot of the low profile wonders that are out now days.

With their option to change gears they give a fella the best cranking power or speed of any single geared reel made. A benchmark star drag reel... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on March 15, 2018, 03:22:09 PM
Crap now that got me thinking my answer only addressed stock commercial reels. My recently built ProGear 541 or probably the 99 width Cortez Conversion would likely take place of the 980 if custom builds are allowed.

Any reel, regardless. Please explain why... Jeff

Swami805

Just one? A Newell G332f. 30lb mono cast like a dream,fishes live bait well and very few moving parts. If I hook something really big hand it off to the dechand,problem solved
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

Tough question, even for us freshwater guys.  But I'd go with a old-time Mitchell 300 or one of it's relatives.  They feel and sound absolutely great on a rod & will handle ultralight chores in a pinch w/ 4lb. test, while still being there for bass and northern pike on heavier lines.

Frank

Bill B

If given one and only one, make it a Mitchell 302. It will take light to medium heavy line and fish fresh to salt water.   Another consideration would be a Surfmaster 100.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on March 16, 2018, 10:18:22 PM
Tough question, even for us freshwater guys.  But I'd go with a old-time Mitchell 300 or one of it's relatives.  They feel and sound absolutely great on a rod & will handle ultralight chores in a pinch w/ 4lb. test, while still being there for bass and northern pike on heavier lines.

Frank
I'll have to agree fishing only freshwater a spinning reel would be best.  But I'd probably opt for the DAM Quick 220 with three spare spools.  4 lb, 8 lb, 12, and 17 lb. test mono.

David Hall

Simply cannot be done with only one reel.

bhale1

Wow... this is a really tough one! And yes I mean "one"😀
What to do, what to do??? I mean seriously, just one Jeff!!!
Okay, I live in Southern Az, lots of Bass fishing, 3-4 hours to higher elevation trout, and now I like to trek 6-7 hours to San Diego for 1/2 and 3/4 day boats as often as I can sneak away. The bass in my Avatar was 4 lb-15 oz, , I can get nice 20" Rainbows and Browns up north. As for S.D., mostly Calicos, and some up to 10 lb YT, and BFT so far......
So, I'm going with my Cortez Conversions Squidder😎
I can troll for trout, still cast a 1/2 to 3/4 oz plug for bass, and land (if I play them right) a lot of near inshore plastics.....
But, I would hate it to only have one!!!
If you don't have one, (CC Squidder), you would be surprised at how they cast!!!!
Brett

Edit:: I meant palegics, not plastics😎

Hook um

It may be possible to try and fish with one reel but WHY would you want to.

Maybe you should ask the question "What is the one "GO TO" fishing reel you use for the normal day-to-day fishing that you do and how many of them do you take/have?"

I'm an east coast Surf fisherman. When fishing I use 1 to 4 rods depending on the conditions at the time (conditions = surf,wind, day/night, and if the fish are there & are hungry.)

I have landed fish up to 50+" & by catch of rays with wing spans up to 6', plus to way many biters to count with a few over 7'(I'm 5' 9" at 165 lbs).

Then there is the Hatteras monsters when hooked, heads due east like a freight train, can spool you of over 300+ yds of line in a matter of seconds, crushed pinion bearings, crack reel cages, part lines, and never break the surface!

For me the first reel that comes off the truck and in the surf is a tuned Penn Mag 525, spin time set to 8>10 seconds, in the sand spike, clicker drag, 30 lb braid, 24' 60 lb shocker, Hatteras rig, 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu circle octopus hook, and 5>8 oz lead (depending on conditions{see above}). When hooked up I will set the drag to 6>8 lbs(4 spokes of the star drag from top middle to the handle).  I take 5 525's

I fish hard for the fish that I can't keep! But may keep one if it is within the legal limits and will be consumed for dinner that evening:)

Sharp Hooks & Tight Lines ;)

BoB

Fishy247

Penn 500, hands down. For the majority of the saltwater fishing I do, it does it all. Yo-yo and surface iron, live bait...holds enough braid that I can fish deeper rockfish...light enough that I can fish shallow. PLUS the quick-change spool so you can go from light to heavy easier. Mine has Bryan's drags, a Tib frame, and an upgraded handle. Shoot, I've even trolled albacore with it!

the rockfish ninja

I only have one reel that "covers most" of my fishing but it *ISN'T* the "one reel" I "wouldn't want to be without".

My Daiwa Lexa 300 is the most versatile and dependable reel I've ever owned. I can shore cast artificials, chuck bait, and even take it on a party boat to grind Lingcod out of the reef. Only problem is it's a pinch heavy for repeated casting of artificials and I tend to use 200 size bass reels (13 Fishing, Lew's) for that purpose. I do a lot more casting from shore than getting out there on the water so the smaller reels are the ones I can't do without, they just can't do the larger tasks like boat fishing.

I'd say my Lexa but I don't think I would be happy if that was my only reel, I'd just have sore shoulders.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Rivverrat

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on March 17, 2018, 05:37:34 PM
I only have one reel that "covers most" of my fishing but it *ISN'T* the "one reel" I "wouldn't want to be without".

....but I don't think I would be happy if that was my only reel, I'd just have sore shoulders.

I believe your sentiment here is the underlying issue of why this is a hard thing. Making it most difficult for most to give an answer... Jeff

Carl L

I would have to go with Daron's new Iron Man Everol, as you can never be overdressed; and should have never arrived outgunned...

Rivverrat

Quote from: Hook um on March 17, 2018, 02:45:29 PM

Maybe you should ask the question "What is the one "GO TO" fishing reel you use for the normal day-to-day fishing that you do and how many of them do you take/have?"

BoB

Thought about that but it doesn't bring about the level of consideration as asked... Jeff

Carl L

Sure it does... one reel to do it all, that covers most of your fishing...