One Reel

Started by Rivverrat, March 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

I betcha I can catch a perch and a shark with my 9/0....

Florida Cracker

I would go with my Ambassador 5000. Small enough for panfish and still land nice Snook and reds.

mo65

Quote from: bhale1 on March 17, 2018, 02:35:17 AM
If you don't have one, (CC Squidder), you would be surprised at how they cast!!!!

So true...the CC Squidder is an undiscovered gem for light tackle fishing.
Brett is right, these things cast great. I spooled mine with 25 lb. mono...figuring I'd use it mostly for larger river fishing. I was blown away at how well it cast  a 2 oz. sinker, so I tied on a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait and it set sail! On 25 lb. test! I immediately wanted to rip off the heavy line and spool her up with 10-12 lb. line and play around. I'm betting it would handle light lines very well. The only thing that stopped me was that big honkin' power handle I put on Tom's jewel. I would imagine a full day of casting using that handle would be a workout. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

boon

Probably a Shimano Talica 20. It would kinda suck for some of the fishing I do, but it would get it all done.

thorhammer

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 15, 2018, 08:14:38 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on March 15, 2018, 03:22:09 PM
Crap now that got me thinking my answer only addressed stock commercial reels. My recently built ProGear 541 or probably the 99 width Cortez Conversion would likely take place of the 980 if custom builds are allowed.

Any reel, regardless. Please explain why... Jeff

Well, if it were one for saltwater it would probabaly be the Progear, point being it's all-aluminum and slightly larger than the 980, but carries 4/0 Senator guts. With all the upgrades available the Progear can be built out to serious drag and hold probably 400yds of 65lb braid. I bought the carcass from Ted and souped up the innards; will probably add an SS sleeve at some point.

Maxed Out

One reel for salt...... Easy choice is new style Cortez 113h. I can use same sideplates for a T4N1, a T4N, a standard width, an HLW, and a T4WEX.....all with the same set of sideplates. One set of sideplates for all 5 kits, so technically I'd still only have one working reel  ;D  ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Rivverrat

For the saltwater fellas pick two.  One for fresh water & one for salt... Jeff

sharkman

If one: Penn 5500 Spinfisher V

If two: Avet Lx and Penn 710

Decker

So, I'm going with my Cortez Conversions Squidder😎
I can troll for trout, still cast a 1/2 to 3/4 oz plug for bass, and land (if I play them right) a lot of near inshore plastics.....
But, I would hate it to only have one!!!
If you don't have one, (CC Squidder), you would be surprised at how they cast!!!!
Brett

Quote from: mo65 on March 18, 2018, 03:05:49 AM

Brett is right, these things cast great. I spooled mine with 25 lb. mono...figuring I'd use it mostly for larger river fishing. I was blown away at how well it cast  a 2 oz. sinker, so I tied on a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait and it set sail! On 25 lb. test! I immediately wanted to rip off the heavy line and spool her up with 10-12 lb. line and play around. I'm betting it would handle light lines very well. The only thing that stopped me was that big honkin' power handle I put on Tom's jewel. I would imagine a full day of casting using that handle would be a workout. 8)

Brett and Mo, does the Cortez Squidder 146 stand up to an Ambassadeur?  I want to believe it does.  

boon

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 19, 2018, 06:56:16 PM
For the saltwater fellas pick two.  One for fresh water & one for salt... Jeff

Stella 2500 for freshwater, Talica 20 or maybe Makaira Spin 10000 for salt.

Swami805

Love my cortez squidder and I'd say it would stand up to an ambassaduer. I've used the 5500's and beat them to death in the salt and they work great.
I give the squidder the nod though for better free spool and stronger internals. Close call. Just my 2 cents
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Decker on March 19, 2018, 08:54:01 PM
So, I'm going with my Cortez Conversions Squidder😎
I can troll for trout, still cast a 1/2 to 3/4 oz plug for bass, and land (if I play them right) a lot of near inshore plastics.....
But, I would hate it to only have one!!!
Brett

Quote from: mo65 on March 18, 2018, 03:05:49 AM

Brett is right, these things cast great. I spooled mine with 25 lb. mono...figuring I'd use it mostly for larger river fishing. I was blown away at how well it cast  a 2 oz. sinker, so I tied on a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait and it set sail! On 25 lb. test! I immediately wanted to rip off the heavy line and spool her up with 10-12 lb. line and play around. I'm betting it would handle light lines very well. The only thing that stopped me was that big honkin' power handle I put on Tom's jewel. I would imagine a full day of casting using that handle would be a workout. 8)

Brett and Mo, does the Cortez Squidder 146 stand up to an Ambassadeur?  I want to believe it does.  

Not ot change topic but I'm going to say there is no comparison.

Decker

Sorry to derail the thread, Riverrat.   

I'm sticking with the Penn 970 for salt.
For fresh, the Spinfisher 430SS.
I guess these two reels are of about the same vintage, and that period of the 80's seems to have been one of Penn's best.

Rivverrat

That's not an issue at all. Kind of wanted to hear what others had to say about it... Jeff