One Reel

Started by Rivverrat, March 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Do it ALL? Would have to be a 16/0 senator. I suppose I could trout fish with it. But I can't marlin fish with a Zebco.  ;D
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Decker

Quote from: 1badf350 on March 20, 2018, 01:35:37 PM
Do it ALL? Would have to be a 16/0 senator. I suppose I could trout fish with it. But I can't marlin fish with a Zebco.  ;D

Just an aside: Something about the thought of hooking into a marlin with a Zebco made me remember an incident from my youth.  My brother and I were fishing off a bulkhead in the back bay of Harvey Cedars, NJ.  We would fish this spot regularly, almost every day that summer.  There was a particularly loud Donzi speedboat that would go by on the weekends.   They would pass us with little regard for our fishing, or where our lines were.   One day they picked up my line, and proceeded to spool my Penn 720.  I screamed to get their attention, to no avail.   Most likely all of the line on my reel ended up twisted around their prop shaft.   Never did that again. :)

P.S.  What would the result have been like if I had been fishing a 16/0? ;D  I may have been dragged through the bay.

thorhammer

That's why i love these threads..you never know where they are gonna go....

Abu 5500 vs. CC Squidder: I wouldn't want to cast plugs for bass all day with no levelwind. That said, NO comparison in the drag and strength. I have an ABU 10000,  and the CC would probably pull it apart if I get around to the steel sleeve. The 10000 even only has two crossbars plus stand, for 30 lb mono reel with a power handle...

Fishy247

QuoteI betcha I can catch a perch and a shark with my 9/0....

Have you taken a gander at Benni's fishing pictures? He fishes a 9/0 for panfish and trout....

Puddle Jumper

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 19, 2018, 06:56:16 PM
For the saltwater fellas pick two.  One for fresh water & one for salt... Jeff

There potato chips ,, you just cant do one,,,lol
Two for fresh and salt,, 4500 slammer lll, and a torque 300,

rippin_lips

Are we talking one or two types of reels?  Or just one or two reels?  It would be impossible to run a 6 line trolling spread with 1 reel, so I guess I'm out of the game.

oldmanjoe

One reel  Does it all , take`s any size line , holds a lot of line .
        Can cast with it or straight drop .
         A unique drag system .
        Can catch bait fish on up to what you can hold on to .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MarkT

A tanked out 99 sized Jigmaster with some extra spools.  I take a bunch of reels when I go fishing so this one stays at home but if I had to pick one something like this would pretty much cover anything this side of big tuna.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on June 25, 2018, 06:13:02 PM
A tanked out 99 sized Jigmaster with some extra spools.  I take a bunch of reels when I go fishing so this one stays at home but if I had to pick one something like this would pretty much cover anything this side of big tuna.

Mark, funny you mention the Jigmaster. As popular as it was & still is it's one I dont have any experience with. Just recently received one to work on. The size & gear ratio makes these reels very usable... Jeff

grekim

For saltwater I'd like to say the Longbeach 60, but my Surfmaster has an aluminum spool and would be a little better with lighter line when needed.  For freshwater, a 3.5" JW Young fly reel.
Educating fish on every trip

George6308

Started salt water fishing with a Penn 85 that I bought for 4 dollars. Still have it. Maybe I will return to where it all started ! :)😃

Rivverrat

Quote from: George6308 on June 26, 2018, 12:15:23 AM
Started salt water fishing with a Penn 85 that I bought for 4 dollars. Still have it. Maybe I will return to where it all started ! :)😃

George, it would be really neat if you could post some pics of this reel... Jeff

Marcq

boon

Quote from: Marcq on June 26, 2018, 01:59:59 AM
Penn 704

Marc..

Interested to know if it's a sentimental thing? Given that the Shimano Stella, Daiwa Saltiga and Okuma Makaira Spin exist, seems funny to go for a $200 reel.

Likewise if I could just have one reel ever there's no way I would take a Senator 16/0 over something like a Makaira or Penn VISX, or even a solid old Tiagra for that matter.

Benni3

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 20, 2018, 04:14:13 PM
QuoteI betcha I can catch a perch and a shark with my 9/0....

Have you taken a gander at Benni's fishing pictures? He fishes a 9/0 for panfish and trout....
work was sending all over the east coast,,,I got a torque 5 to bring with me