One Reel

Started by Rivverrat, March 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I think the Torque 5 would make a fine reel if limited to one.

Some need to reread my first post.

I said nothing about one reel for all fishing. But one that would work well fir most of the fishing you do... Jeff

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM
If you had to choose just one reel to do it all, that covers most of your fishing.

OK for you salt water guys pick 2 one for fresh water & another for salt... Jeff

OK . . . If my life depended on it, for survival, these would be my picks. ( I'm a "saltwater guy" )

SALTWATER : PENN 114H Special Senator with the Chrome over Brass spool ( USA Made )

FRESHWATER : Daiwa Black Gold BG15 ( Old Model - Made in Japan )

Both reels are built like a tank, easy to service, and parts are plentiful . . . Good "bang for the buck" !

NOTE: My freshwater choice, the Daiwa BG15, allows a "crossover" for saltwater fishing with lures or bait, as needed.

The 114H is the "meat rod" . . .The 114H ( Chrome / Brass spool ) actually has the same line capacity as the 114HLW ( Aluminum spool ) or very close to it !

Tight Lines !

Dave

George6308

Here is my first Penn. It is an 85 that I bought at the Montgomery Mart about 1962 for four dollars. It has a few replaced parts, reel stand, cross bars, and spool but the rest is original. It's spooled with 20 lb test braided Dacron originally I used 16 ld test braidEd Nylon Squidding line. It was used for every type of salt water fishing from casting to head boats. Caught quite a few fish in its day.

Decker

Nice, George.  Keep it simple. 8)

FatTuna

This wouldn't cover most of my fishing but I'd have to choose the International 130. If I had to pick, I'd rather have tuna than every other species combined.

thorhammer

Rethinking, since I rarely fish light lures or small fish anymore....I could do a ton with a 980...premier surfcaster, enough drag for the grouper we catch, light trolling for mahi / hoo with braid, flounder drift with mono, downrigger for striper, planers for Spanish, it will cast poppers when needed.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on August 22, 2018, 08:18:44 PM
Rethinking, since I rarely fish light lures or small fish anymore....I could do a ton with a 980...premier surfcaster, enough drag for the grouper we catch, light trolling for mahi / hoo with braid, flounder drift with mono, downrigger for striper, planers for Spanish, it will cast poppers when needed.

I see you've done some serious thinking, John. 

The Penn 970 Mag  is my "one reel", because it can handle any inshore fish in Jersey, and cast like a champ.  In bay or surf, from pier or jetty, in the wrecks and reefs...  I'll bet some catfish hunters could do some damage with it.  Holds enough braid, and manages it without slop. 

When I figure out a "quick spool change" setup for my 970, I just may sell a bunch of other reels. 8)