Scierra Track 1 Fly Reel

Started by Tiddlerbasher, March 15, 2018, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

My washer was like common gasket material - a bit like cardboard.

David Hall

This is good news I have a small collection of fly reels I can break out and go through including a 12wt.

Rothmar2

Hi Chris,

How did the Maldives trip go? And did you give this reel much use? How did the A/R bearing hold up?

Tiddlerbasher

Unfortunately the Maldives trip didn't workout - maybe next year :-\

Tiddlerbasher

Follow up to the original post.
Although I have moved on and I gave the reel to a friend I have had reports that it's doing fine (freshwater only). The drag is still smooth apparently. He uses it for fly fishing for carp with an 8wt outfit.

oc1

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 18, 2018, 03:10:39 AM
few managed more than 6/7lb of drag
Chris, I don't know anything about fly reels but I do know that medium-large bonefish will not need more than about three pounds of drag.  They'll pull the hook if you crank down too tight.  Don't know why.  Maybe it's those rubber lips.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve -that's also what I have read. I was loosely quoting a review on 8wt reels suitable for general salt fishing. My fly reels give a practical max 4lb drag - suitable for the tippets I would use - 10 to 15lbs. Also I only fish a max 8wt rod.

Donnyboat

Thanks for the tutorial and the following info Chris, this fly section was dormant, for a few weeks, so its great to see some recent info coming through.
     I brought a DAM fly reel through the week, fully loaded, should arrive in the post this week, only cost me AU $35.00, including postage, so maybe I can post something about it later in the week, after I strip it.
     Please everone keep this fly section going, to justify Alan starting it for us, stay safe, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat