Zebco Omega 840L & 850L Tutorial

Started by Midway Tommy, March 16, 2018, 04:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

In 1978, when Zebco came out with their Omega Series spinning reels made in the USA in Tulsa, OK, they not only manufactured a line of skirted spool models, they also manufactured a line of standard non-skirted spinning reels. Those were the 840L (Light), 850L (Medium) and 870L (Heavy Salt Water). As with the 970L, there is no evidence that Zebco ever sold, or anyone has ever purchased, an 870L.

The drive and drag mechanisms are the basically the same in the 800 series as the 900 series. The main differences are in the bail/rotor and anti-reverse mechanisms. Another big difference is that the 840L uses a large nylon washer for a pinion worm gear bearing instead of a steel encased ball bearing assembly like the 900 series.

I used the 840L for this tutorial but the 850L process is exactly the same, the 850L is just a little larger. This is what the 840L looked like when I opened it up. The grease was original. It looked like a cross between butter and peanut butter but was nice and soft. I have no idea what kind it was.

The first step of disassembly is to remove the sideplate, main gear and main shaft. Generally, the rest of the steps are in reverse order of this reassembly process. The unpainted metal parts were soaked in lacquer thinner, dried and wire brushed. Painted and plastic parts were cleaned with Original White Goop and washed in Dawn detergent and water. Here are all the parts cleaned and ready to be assembled.

Before my hands get greasy I always install all the parts on the rotor. I put a little grease in the screw holes to help mitigate corrosion. Thread the bail plate all the way onto the bail and then back it off 1/2 to one full turn so that it lays parallel with the bail. The bail springs are wound opposite and this photo shows them relative to their correct side. They must be installed on the correct side or they'll be bent, sprung and difficult, if not impossible, to re-bend or adjust. Install the spring and bail arm on the roller guide side. Install the spring and bail plate/bail on the opposite side. Once installed rotate the bail in the appropriate direction to get tension on the spring and turn the bail 90 degrees. Have the line roller, Teflon bushing, protecting washer and bail nut ready for installation. The line rollers on the all Omega series reels are aluminum oxide. Check the bail to make sure it lines up perfectly with the hole in the bail arm. Bend or adjust it if needed so that there is no pressure sideways or up and down. Other than gummed up bail springs, misalignment is the reason why bails don't work properly. I lubricate my bail springs and roller guide with ArmorAll because it doesn't collect dirt like grease and oil do. The black plastic bail trip slides into the slot. Pull the bail back and slide it into position. The compression spring slides onto the round stud on the bail trip and in the slot on the rotor over metal support. Once the bail trip lever is installed the bail plate will rest on it. Set the rotor aside to install later.

Next step is to install the drag mechanism. All the parts are shown in their correct installation order. Zebco says they don't require lubrication but I put a thin coating of Super Lube on both sides of all the washers & housings. I also include a small drop of synthetic oil. Insert the washer, brass fitting and graphite washer into the click housing and install the internal clip to secure them in place. Slide the Teflon and SS washers, click arm washer, spring washer and position plate onto the brass fitting behind the click housing.

Insert the drag mechanism into the body with the brass fitting protruding through the hole in the rear of the housing. Screw the drag knob all the way onto the fitting as tight as possible and install the small external clip. The plastic cover snaps into place but I wait to install it until later.

Loosen the drag knob as far as it will go and insert the main shaft. Turn the main shaft to make sure all the drag parts are operating properly.

The 840L has an anti-reverse dog setup similar to the ABU & Zebco Cardinal line. The pinion worm gear has a linear notch that the lever/dog wedges into. It is activated by a sliding button on the top of the body. Lube and install the anti-reverse lever and button. I grease and add a drop of oil to the pivot post prior to positioning it. Lube and install the oscillation gear. I add a drop of oil to the post there, too. Then lube the housing, pinion worm gear, nylon bearing and shims. Insert them and secure with the internal retaining clip. I also add a small drop of synthetic oil to the bearing. Install the rotor, then add the locking washer and nut. When the nut is tight bend the flange on the washer up against the flat spot on the nut. The anti-reverse spring installs in a groove on the inside of the main gear.

Next step is to lube and add the main shaft, oscillation block, shims, where needed, and main gear. This reel has a one piece double C-clip to hold the oscillation block in place. The leg on the anti-reverse spring that's in the groove on the back side of the main gear goes into the small hole in the anti-reverse dog/lever. That extension must be positioned in the hole to activate the anti-reverse, which is silent. When the handle is turned backward the spring tightens on the main gear housing and pulls the dog up into stop position. While turning forward the spring spins on the tube holding it away from the notch in the pinion worm gear, therefore being silent.

Time to install the sideplate, handle, opposite side handle dust cover, drag knob cover and spool. The spool is aluminum.

Completed and working as it should.

As I stated previously on the 900 series tutorial, these are decent quality, Made in America, spinning reels. It is too bad Zebco used alloy main and oscillation gearing, and on this reel, a nylon washer rather than an encased ball bearing. Had they incorporated a SS pinion worm gear and brass or bronze main and oscillation gears, etc., this would have been a very high quality reel.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Thanks for both tutorials Tommy. I have been on this site for several months now and the knowledge and willingness to share this knowledge continues to surprise me! Very educational.

mo65

I can't believe these Zebco Omega tutorials have been here a year and I just found them. Thanks for posting Tommy...and slap me once in a while if I nod off...:D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

RIP...... ???......Rip Van Winkle, is that you?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Sharp looking Zebco and great tutorial, Tommy. 

Other than the rear drag, it doesn't look very complicated, main gear, crosswind block, crosswind gear, double coiled bail springs, etc.