550N arrived this week

Started by festus, March 17, 2018, 01:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got a question about the spool on this 550N.  

It appears this spool needs the brake nut screwed off to remove ths spool.  I don't think it was intended to be push-button removal, at least the way it's built.  Am I right?

This is a good clean reel on the outside, I haven't cleaned up the inner parts and re-lubed them  yet, however.  Never seen a reel packed with so much axle grease.  I removed the side plate, c-clip, slide, washers inside the housing, spool shaft, worm gear, bearing, etc and wiped them down with paper towels and Q-Tips, but still don't have all the grease removed.  I checked the A/R and it's functioning fine.  The l reassembled it a couple days ago, been a hectic week so it may be a couple days before I can getting around to giving it a work over.

All parts seem to be in place, but the rotor has some slop maybe 3/32" back and forth play.  Don't see any missing washers, this reel is probably fishable, but I don't like the slop.  Reckon I need a couple more washers? Suggestions welcome, this is the first problem of this sort with a spinning reel.

Midway Tommy

The 440 & 440N have push button spool drag knobs. The 550 & 550N spool drag knobs unscrew. It addresses that on the 550N manual snippet you posted last fall with that other 550N that needed a bail spring.

You should be able to identify what the play culprit is once you remove the main shaft, oscillation arm & main gear if it truly is in need of shimming. Once those items are out see if the pinion moves in and out before you remove the rotor. That will tell you a lot. I wouldn't think the bearing would have that much play, but I suppose it could.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Don't know how l missed the fine print. :)  The other reel had some missing parts, Fred still has it since last November, l told him when he gets the rotor for another Quick finished just to ship the 550N back to me for a parts reel.

I probably won't buy another N series reel.  The ratchet wheel is plastic and prone to deform and I don't care for the anti-reverse setup.  Had been looking maybe a 110N but I changed my mind.  The 220N I found last fall is in good shape, doubtful it was ever used.

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 17, 2018, 02:55:23 AM
You should be able to identify what the play culprit is once you remove the main shaft, oscillation arm & main gear if it truly is in need of shimming. Once those items are out see if the pinion moves in and out before you remove the rotor. That will tell you a lot. I wouldn't think the bearing would have that much play, but I suppose it could.
:-[ I didn't get the snap ring seated properly, that was causing the play.

This is a decent reel, bail works very well and it's the quietest on any Quick reel I've ever owned.

The only thing lacking in the entire reel that I can't find is the cover cap for the bail.

Midway Tommy

Hey, at least you found the culprit. That's a lot easier to fix than a lot of things.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)