Comparable reels

Started by xaf, March 17, 2018, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I have a friend who is getting back into fishing and wants to buy a couple new reels. He asked me for advice on what reels to buy. I don't really keep up with new reels and new models until I'm ready to buy then I do a lot of research to decide what I want to get. Currently I use a couple Saltiga Star drag reels and an Okuma Makaira 15 II sea 2 speed.   I would like to give him several options similar to my reels rather then just telling him to get what I have. He will mainly be fishing for snapper and grouper, using both dead and live bait and occasionally jigging, with 40 - 80 lb line.

So my question boils down to what other reels would you recommend that are comparable in price and quality to the Saltiga Star drags and the Makaira 2 speed?

Rivverrat

Penn Fathom are good budget priced star drags. The Penn Torque star drags are more refined with the capacity to change gearing. The Penn Torque will fish heavier line is more refined than the Fathom.

It is my opinion that the Torque is the best conventional style star drag made. Maybe ever. They are offered in 5 or 6 different sizes. They are very likely the best casters in their class.

If a smaller big game, lever drag is needed it's hard to beat the Makaira series. If something lighter a little cheaper price, capable of the same drag look at the Okuma Andros. The Andros 12 is offered in two different widths & makes a fantastic 40- 50 reel having the capacity to produce at least 25 lbs. of drag if needed with out destroying the bearings. Couldn't be happier with mine... Jeff

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL