Newell side plate repair

Started by Swami805, March 17, 2018, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I have these white 220 sideples with cracks around the bearing cup. I'd like to try and patch them up with epoxy with some kind of pigment and match the color. Any ideas?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Do you think if you masked the base you might be able to pack some PC-7 or JB Weld into the cracks? I'm sure somebody here will have a solution for you and if you do the work on that reel that you do on the rods, you'll never know those cracks were there.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

STRIPER LOU

Easy peasy, white gel coat!

You can tint it and get a perfect color match if you want to play with it. I've even repaired a few maroon and black Penn plates and they come out pretty darn good.

Let me know how you make out Sheridan.

.................Lou

PS its got to be prepped super clean!

George6308

Marine Tex Epoxy also comes in white. I do not know if it is the same shade of white.

PacRat

x2 on what Lou said about prep. There's likely some corrosion going on in there which is swelling and making it worse. Do your best to neutralize it before repairing the cracks. I haven't done this repair so take my advice with a grain of salt. First I would clean it with a CLR soak (or at least vinegar). An ultrasound would also be very helpful. Then do the same with baking soda and h20 to make certain the acid is neutralized. A third round in the ultrasound with just water just to make certain any particulate debris are gone. Let it dry for a few days before proceeding. All this cleaning will hopefully get any staining out of the cracks too so it won't show through your repairs.
Before filling with any epoxy I would hit it with some very thin superglue. Hobby stores have all varieties. You want the thinnest you can get so that it will be wicked into all the voids around the insert. Hopefully this fully seal the insert from saltwater. Then fill the cracks with the epoxy or gel-coat of your choice. That's how I would do it anyway.
Good luck
Mike

Swami805

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a few days to clean and prep it, the super glue is a good idea. I think I'll try the marine gel coat repair to get the right tint. I use PC7 buts it's grey I might get some mari-tex and get lucky with the color, maybe fool with the mix a little. I've used both for attaching reel seats.
Not sure the guy who gave them too me ever fished with them so it might be oil or grease in the cracks. I think they broke from cranking down on the bearing cup too hard instead of shimming them. Worth a shot and I'll post some pics. Thanks again
Do what you can with that you have where you are