China Vs USA Senator opinions

Started by TongassFisher, March 17, 2018, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

I've done a bit of searching on this topic, many of the posts are from years ago shortly after Penn launched the 2 series senators that are made in China. Lots of hate, and everything from the Chinieese reels are junk to, they aren't that bad, seems everyone has an opinion!

So I am partial to the US made senators as most of the hop up parts available through this site are designed for them so that is the driving reason I source them out. Lots of good guys on this site willing to help find you a US made senator too if you're wanting to do a build.

Now that the senators 9/0 and down are being made in China and have been for some years, what are you reel pros opinions? We have had some time now for these Chinese reels to be fished, tested, evaluated, beat on... Etc What are your thoughts on the quality? Do they hold up as well as the US produced reels from years back?

I'll end by sharing my very limited experience with the Chinese Penns. I pre serviced an 114h2 and it seemed to be built very well, I'd say every bit as nice as the newer US reels I've had apart. I did have troubles with the levelwind on a squall 50. The ceramic or whatever the material is made of that actually touches the line on the level wind came unglued/appart which put the reel out of service. Was a pain too as the reel was brand new with zero hours on it. Line was synced/timed correctly too.

Shark Hunter

I have used H2 Parts in a older 9/0, but I don't have any H-2's.
There are design differences both good and bad.
I just think the older reels are better quality. JMO
Life is Good!

TongassFisher

Good information thanks for the response!

I sent you a PM

handi2

What I have found after servicing at least 100 of these reels is that the SS parts they use rust very quickly. I find many gear sleeves rusted to the bridge post or visa Versa. This is for the 113H2.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on March 18, 2018, 04:44:28 PM
What I have found after servicing at least 100 of these reels is that the SS parts they use rust very quickly. I find many gear sleeves rusted to the bridge post or visa Versa. This is for the 113H2.

That may not be that bad of a thing if the reels are maintained.  If its rusting, its possibly its a 400 series stainless, which is stronger than the 300 series.  That extra strength comes with less resistance to corrosion though. 

handi2

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 18, 2018, 09:42:55 PM

That may not be that bad of a thing if the reels are maintained.  If its rusting, its possibly its a 400 series stainless, which is stronger than the 300 series.  That extra strength comes with less resistance to corrosion though. 

Other than that i see no problem with them.

In all the charter boats I take care of the aluminum spools take a beating. So much that the edges of the spools start corroding off. Most of them want the chromed bronze spools.

The H2 reels seem to last as long as the original reels. It just the rusting of the SS parts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TongassFisher

Quote from: handi2 on March 18, 2018, 10:39:12 PM
Quote from: Three se7ens on March 18, 2018, 09:42:55 PM

Other than that i see no problem with them.

In all the charter boats I take care of the aluminum spools take a beating. So much that the edges of the spools start corroding off. Most of them want the chromed bronze spools.

The H2 reels seem to last as long as the original reels. It just the rusting of the SS parts.

Good info, so do you happen to have a picture of the chrome over bronze? How can I identify one of these?

Thanks,

Trev

Shark Hunter

Trev,
If it is not Black Aluminum, It is Chrome Over Bronze.
These spools are tough.
You might want to rethink your search for a 9/0.
There are several with chrome over bronze for a $100 Bill.
Just make sure it is a bearing reel with a one piece spool.
Life is Good!

TongassFisher

Daron, thanks that is where I was heading with that question, the down side I'm betting is the heavy weight that it adds.

The added weight is no big to me if it's strong!

Trevor

mike1010

I serviced a friend's Chinese 209.  The bridge screw holes in the head plate did not align well with those in the bridge.  I was able to reassemble it by first threading all four screws only a little, and then tightening each a quarter turn at a time.  I can't imagine that head plate will last very long, and was left wary of Chinese Penns.

Mike

thorhammer

Trevor you aren't really casting a Senator all day.  Even bottom fishing where I'm holding the rod all day the bronze spool didn't bother me and it's a beast. I'll post you some pics. I think I have a couple without line. 

John.

triumphrick

I have just posted up my complaint of the 113H2 losing anti-reverse when the bridge screws are tightened too much.

I'm not a big strong guy, but I can bend a H2 handle with ease.

The rust on the stainless parts is also discouraging.

Bridge assy posts rivets work out the bottom....the first thing that happens is it leaves a nice racing stripe on the spool.

Three charter captains I service have them, and we are always looking out for good used 113H's...they will pay top dollar for them to keep from buying new H2's..

festus

There is a YouTube video out there that a reel repairman is comparing a Chinese Jigmaster with an older one.  He had several complaints.  If I find it, I'll post later.

RowdyW

Quote from: triumphrick on May 23, 2019, 08:08:02 PM
I have just posted up my complaint of the 113H2 losing anti-reverse when the bridge screws are tightened too much.

I'm not a big strong guy, but I can bend a H2 handle with ease.

The rust on the stainless parts is also discouraging.

Bridge assy posts rivets work out the bottom....the first thing that happens is it leaves a nice racing stripe on the spool.

Three charter captains I service have them, and we are always looking out for good used 113H's...they will pay top dollar for them to keep from buying new H2's..
If those minor problems are all you can find wrong with them then install a 113H bridge & install a 113H handle. No need to replace the whole reel..      Rudy