D.A.M. Quick 440

Started by foakes, March 18, 2018, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The DAM Quick 440 is not a very well known reel, even among folks who know the Quick models and various lines.

It is considered a light heavy-weight spinner for extra heavy fresh water fishing.  Also for light and medium salt water use.

Second largest of the Quick Line — between a 330 & 550.

While it has the body size of a 330, the spool and rotor are much larger.  Plus the bail trip is a unique and very positive system for fishing current or large fish where we don't need a sloppy bail.

Client sent this one in that he purchased on eBay to fish Steelhead & Salmon in the Pacific Northwest.  Missing a bail spring, line guide, bail nut and locker washer, old drags, needed some attention.  But the bones were all there, and the reel was very salvageable.

A full cleaning, restoration, HD bail spring, new drag stack, modern lubes — this old soldier is good for another fisherman's lifetime.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Good-looking reel; the client should be all ready to go on those big trout.

Frank

Midway Tommy

There are a few reels like that, too big for the smaller freshwater fish & not big enough for the bigger salt water fish. Interesting how that worked out back in the day. The Mitchell 306 & ABU Cardinal 6 kind of fall into that same category. People just didn't quite get on board. A lot of catfish & striper guys like that size, though.

That reel shined up pretty nice, Fred, considering how dull it was. What did you put on it? 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 18, 2018, 03:01:48 AM
That reel shined up pretty nice, Fred, considering how dull it was. What did you put on it? 

Wrinkle paint, Tom.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

I don't talk much here about this model. There just terrible. Very terrible reels.  ;)

festus

What brand of wrinkle paint do you use, Fred?  That reel looks brand new now. Good job!

Those 440 would be just right for casting 2 oz striper jigs in the tailraces of dams here in Tennessee for stripers or fishing for  flathead and blue catfish with live bluegill or cut shad for bait.  

I've been checking ebay for one of these but the sellers usually don't put enough pictures to determine if it's a good buy.  A few I've seen the line roller wasn't horizontal, could have been a problem with most likely a bent angle lever. That could cause line fray getting caught between the angle lever and line guide.

Here's one that is listed as a 440N but the picture clearly shows a 440.   ???

foakes

I use Krylon Wrinkle Finish, Chester —

Strip the reel down completely, all unpainted metals go into lacquer thinner — crank knob, drag nut, and spool go into DAWN dishsoap with hot water in the US cleaner — the rotor, frame, sideplate, badge emblem, and the crank shifter go into Simple Green also in the US cleaner for just 8 minutes.

Dry the painted parts well, shine up the badge, tape off the holes and insides that do not get paint —

Then just lightly mist on the paint — let it dry for 24 hours before reassembly.

Burnish all interior and exterior parts until smooth and shiny — quick 5 minute rinse in fresh water to remove any bits you can't see — dry, lube, reassemble, adjust, and tune.  Glue on fish emblem.  Test all functions, recheck all screws — wipe it down and bag it.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Thanks for the wrinkle paint tutorial. Picked up a finessa last trip to Florida. Needed a good cleaning. Left parts soaking in dawn and water overnight. Discovered that the wrinkle paint will slip off enmasse. AFTER the fact, I searched this board and found Fred's post warning about just exactly this! My bad.
Agree with Tommy. 440 kinda falls in that "tweener " category. That said, I will add one to my Dam "gathering " at some point.
Still wonder why they made these workhorse family of reels and put such small drags on them.

foakes

Quote from: Chuck750ss on March 18, 2018, 09:50:13 PM
Agree with Tommy. 440 kinda falls in that "tweener " category. That said, I will add one to my Dam "gathering " at some point.
Still wonder why they made these workhorse family of reels and put such small drags on them.

For some fisherman fishing for larger game in fresh water (steelhead, large cats, stripers, salmon, carp, lakers, mackinaws, etc..) just a little larger pound test line is needed, as well as a larger spool capacity.

Got to remember, this was mono days — before the days of high tech lines.

Plus drags were not an issue.  Anglers used a 8' to 12' glass rod of good quality —and how the skill of the angler worked the fish for the conditions — proved the days catch. 

The rod was more of a drag than the drag stack — in wearing out and playing the fish.

Today, we mostly let the reel do the work — coupled with the unforgiving nature of graphite rods.

Personally, I prefer a good quality old school metal worm-gear spinning reel like a DAM, Penn, Cardinal, or even a Mitchell — properly serviced —and coupled with an old school fiberglass blank such as a Fenwick, Lamiglas, Wright-McGill, WonderRod, etc. — for my angling.

As many or more quality fish were caught in the old days as now — and a new hot quality rig will run multiple hundreds of $$$.  Old school might have an investment of $100 — and be simple and trouble free. 

I also cannot stand modern over-complicated spinners that have cheap coarse zinc screws going into graphite or plastic.

Just my personal choices and opinions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on March 18, 2018, 09:29:38 PM
I use Krylon Wrinkle Finish, Chester —

Strip the reel down completely, all unpainted metals go into lacquer thinner — crank knob, drag nut, and spool go into DAWN dishsoap with hot water in the US cleaner — the rotor, frame, sideplate, badge emblem, and the crank shifter go into Simple Green also in the US cleaner for just 8 minutes.

Dry the painted parts well, shine up the badge, tape off the holes and insides that do not get paint —

Then just lightly mist on the paint — let it dry for 24 hours before reassembly.

Burnish all interior and exterior parts until smooth and shiny — quick 5 minute rinse in fresh water to remove any bits you can't see — dry, lube, reassemble, adjust, and tune.  Glue on fish emblem.  Test all functions, recheck all screws — wipe it down and bag it.

Best,

Fred

Fred  when you say Krylon , you mean the Vht wrinkle plus .   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Chuck750ss

I am on the same page as you Fred. As far as the reels I fish with, I have a 7000 Abu I bought last year. A Abu 5600, Shimano Curado, 1997, 1999 respectively. Rest of my baitcasters are 1970's or older. As far as spinners, 2 ultra light Shimano's less than 10 years old. Rest of my spinners are from 1950's to 1980's.
I would put the 440 as a minimum size reel for the cats we catch around here. But then again, for anything other than panfish and baitfish my philosophy has always been bigger is better. Definitely a matter of opinion. Lot of folks around here use 209's for cats which in my book is not enough reel. Can't argue with success though!
Once again thanks for the info on the wrinkle paint.

Ron Jones

Quote from: foakes on March 18, 2018, 10:17:50 PM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on March 18, 2018, 09:50:13 PM
Plus drags were not an issue.  Anglers used a 8' to 12' glass rod of good quality —and how the skill of the angler worked the fish for the conditions — proved the days catch. 

The rod was more of a drag than the drag stack — in wearing out and playing the fish.

This is what fishing is! Otherwise, you may as well have a crane pull in the fish. Just my $.02, maybe my $.50.

Eventually drag will come into the equation with a big enough fish, but you should be able to shut the fish down with enough bend in the rod, or else you brought a knife to a gun fight; and that is always a fun fight!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

festus

Quote from: foakes on March 18, 2018, 01:02:12 AM
The DAM Quick 440 is not a very well known reel, even among folks who know the Quick models and various lines.
They aren't as plentiful on ebay, Goodwill, Facebook, or Craigslist as other sizes.  They didn't appear until 1971, at least in the U.S., some 4 years later than the 110, 220, 330, and 550.  I've noticed the most common reels by far for sale online are the 330, along with the predecessors Finessa 280 and 285.

This ad from 1971 lists the 440 as a light saltwater reel. Wonder how well they would hold up in saltwater?

festus

I got this pair of 440 out of the mailbox a couple hours ago.  To my knowledge these are the first of this model I've ever seen.  Nowhere near as massive or heavy as the 550.  Perfect size for 15 to 17 lb mono. 

Both are smooth and quiet, no stiffness in cranking, bail operation is also very crisp.

But of course nothing is perfect, there is an issue with one of these.  Looks like a bent angle lever or something out of whack. Line guide isn't sitting horizontally.  Line gets caught in the groove between the guide and the thick section of the bail wire and will rub and cause abrasion quickly.

oldmanjoe

I think the bail is a little bent at the 9 o`clock  target picture . The other side of the bail still has the black buttons ,so it is not a sloppe bail lock up.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare