D.A.M. Quick 440

Started by foakes, March 18, 2018, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

The bail has been bent more than once and needs to be straightened out. The bail arm is also bent back towards the foot, which pulls the line down toward the rotor edge. Remove the bail, take the arm off and realign it. That will also help the tilt of the bail forward and guide the line into the roller better. I haven't had a Dam apart in a long time so I don't remember if the roller has different diameters on both ends, but check that, too, because some rollers are smaller on one end.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yep,

Bail is bent.  But it will straighten out OK.

Angle lever looks a little off of the proper angle also.

These are tough bails — so the aligning needs to be done with the bail and angle lever off of the reel.

Otherwise, you run the risk of multiplying the distortions to other parts of the reel.

90% of all spinner problems can be traced to bails, cranks, and rotors — because that is what is protruding when the rod and reel get tossed in the bed of the truck — and the 40 pound ice chest slides into it on the way home.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on March 29, 2018, 07:16:44 PM
Yep,

These are tough bails — so the aligning needs to be done with the bail and angle lever off of the reel.

Best,

Fred
Yes, the angle lever is really off kilter.  Not really worried about bending the bail back into position, just wondering how in the heck that angle lever (bail arm to you Penn folks) got in that shape.

foakes

Quote from: festus on March 30, 2018, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: foakes on March 29, 2018, 07:16:44 PM
Yep,

Best,

Fred
Yes, the angle lever is really off kilter.  Not really worried about bending the bail back into position, just wondering how in the heck that angle lever (bail arm to you Penn folks) got in that shape.

Anything protruding on a spinner is subject to becoming bent, broken, or abused.  Or just not cared for.

A dozen things could have caused that bend before you got the reel.

You will get it straightened out and right, Chester...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Bending the bail and lining up the angle lever correctly was only a minor problem.  Took some trial and error, but it's done.  Got this first 440 serviced a few minutes ago.  Neither of these reels had part no. 100069, the lock washer.  Don't know if that could cause problems later.

Yeppers, the bail trip assembly is certainly different than any other I've worked on.   Similar to the N series, but much easier to work on.  No micro-C clip to deal with.  That bail stop slide spring is very clever.

mo65

Looks like she straightened out real nice Festus.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Yes, Chester —

The lock washer is necessary so parts are not lost on the shoreline down the road.

Nice job!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bhale1

Festus,
Thanks for taking us along for the ride. I don't have one yet, but it was easy to follow with your great pics!
Helps us newbies learn, and could easily apply to many other reels😁
Brett

festus

You're welcome, Brett.  Actually I still consider myself a newbie.  Got a D.A.M. Quick 220 reel for my 16th birthday in the 1960s, but never knew anything about repairing them until I found this site last August.  Now I have 9 working Quicks and a couple of parts reels.  Still need to learn a few things, one problem is I'm only able to remove the pin that holds the handle assembly together with a punch only about half the time.  Some come easy, but if I have to keep beating and banging with no result I just let it be.

This afternoon I got around to servicing the second 440.  Whoever worked on this reel last did one thing correctly, they used blue grease.  Problem is they crammed probably 2 tablespoons of grease inside the housing.  Don't guess it harmed anything, I saw no wear on any part.  The remainder of the reel, rotor, spool, and handle assembly was pretty clean.

Spooled some line on five different sized reels today and took them out to see how they cast.  Left to right, 110 on a 5' Ugly Stik, 220N on a 7' Berkley rod, 330 on an 8' Ugly Catfish rod, 440 on a 9' Roddy fiberglass rod, 550N on a 12' Offshore Angler rod.