Shakespeare 1925 Super Wondereel

Started by grekim, March 18, 2018, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

Found this in the bottom of my brother in law's abandoned tackle box.  Decent amount of rust on the inside, but it still turns.  Giving it the preliminary soak.  I can't find anything much about it....what say you?  It's a bait caster, but doesn't appear to have any drag, unless it has rotted away.  Plates are stainless steel.  I think it will be pretty when cleaned up.
Educating fish on every trip

swill88

grekim

Quote from: swill88 on March 18, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
Would live to see it.

Steve

I will.  I should have posted the picture before it is cleaned up.  Looks like most of the rust is just superficial...so it will be nice.

grekim

Attached are the faceplate, the basic order of parts, and a closer look at the posts.

grekim

The main gear sits in this shaft that snaps into the plate.  And finally you see how the spool's gear meshes.  There is also a level wind.

grekim

Here it is!  Trouble spots were that there are 2 screws that are just slightly more heavy duty which I believe are used for securing the gear shaft to the frame as pictured previously.  As always, the level winds give me grief, especially the curved covers.  There is no free spool or drag.  Everything turns pretty nicely, but I have a hard time believing I could cast anything less than an ounce because of the inertia.  Size is smaller than a Penn 9.  It measures about 2.5 inches from outside plate to outside plate.

festus

Good job!  I've never seen that particular reel, but somewhere I have an old Shakespeare 1958 Triumph, very similar.  And you're correct, it takes at least an ounce to get it going.  But once it gets going, it's difficult to stop with those turning handles feeding the line.  Your's probably casts very well.

Donnyboat

Hi Grekim, for smoother casting, I would smooth the main gear sharft, with wet & dry cloth, maybe 2500, or 3000, then smooth of the gear shaft, maybe by, spinning a cotton bud inside of it, try raping some, Never dull around the cotton bud, after that maybe, use another cotton bud, soak it in TSI 321, or a light synthetic oil, spinning it with your drill, after drying it, use TSI 321, or a light synthetic oil, to lube it, grease maybe to thick, should improve the casting, hopefully some of the more expirensed members could add some better advice, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Good save brother...where's Steve when we need him  ;).   I am really liking the arbor spacer.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

grekim

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Well, as it is, it really surpassed my expectations.  I first put down some "random" braid and then maybe 40 yards of 15 lb mono.  I put it on what I think is a Wonderod, 6 foot, but the markings are gone.  Tried a 2 oz bucktail, 1/2 oz nut, and a 3/4 oz bucktail.     The 2 oz. felt great, the 3/4 oz. went reaasonably straight, but not far, and the 1/2 oz. was not flying straight for me.  I was going to shelve it, but now I think it will make a great little canoe/lake or pond reel.  Not sure how not having a drag will play out, but something different is usually fun.

oc1

Nice looking reel.  Polish the bushings and journals too.  If you want more distance then remove the levelwind parts.  Without levelwind and with the right rod you should get 40 yards with a half ounce.  Direct drive with the handle spinning backward can sometimes cast as well as free spool.  If the rod has enough backbone to throw two ounces then it may not be loading very well with a half ounce.  You can get about three pounds of drag with your bare thumb.
-steve

grekim

Quote from: oc1 on March 21, 2018, 06:45:53 AM
Nice looking reel.  Polish the bushings and journals too.  If you want more distance then remove the levelwind parts.  Without levelwind and with the right rod you should get 40 yards with a half ounce.  Direct drive with the handle spinning backward can sometimes cast as well as free spool.  If the rod has enough backbone to throw two ounces then it may not be loading very well with a half ounce.  You can get about three pounds of drag with your bare thumb.
-steve

That's a good point about not loading the rod propertly.  Found near the reel was a much lighter weight fiberglass rod with wooden handle (like mine), but the guide wrappings are complete shot.  As for the level wind, in general I prefer not to have one at all.  I've taken it off my Peerless 9 and I usually use the Surfmaster or Longbeach.  In the Shakespeare it looks like the levelwind gear is riveted on, unlike in the Penn 9.  But, of course I can still remove the levelwind bar and that would certainly help.  I know it sounds silly, but I also don't like the sound of the levelwind in the Penn's because of the the gear spinning in the plastic plates.  In the Shakespeare it's all metal so it sounds more solid.