Okuma Andros 12N A Series Tutorial

Started by Rivverrat, March 18, 2018, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Putting it all back together grease all threads while also coating all surfaces with a layer of grease. Don't forget to grease gears surface where make contact with one another. Washer goes on gear side of retaining ring.

Rivverrat

Reinstall gears

Start by inserting shaft with washer & Drive pin. You'll need to line up the hole in end of spring compression pin with the slot in shaft. Push compression pin from handle side when installing drive pin

Then the gears I separated them to show bottom & top after install. Hoping this will help if this is your first time.

Rivverrat

Low speed gear & spacing washer gear.

Install C clip & gears are installed

Rivverrat

Flip drive side plate over & install handle.

Start with spacing washer the handle cap. Grease where shown.

Install handle hold gears while tightening handle.

Rivverrat

Install handle nut & lock screw.

Rivverrat

Shift Lever & Housing

Lock screw fits in space pointed out by screw driver

Until you get the hang of it this can be frustrating. It's a good idea to have at least one screw in the housing so once in place you can snug it down.

Get it right your first time ? Forget the stock market, quit your job & head straight for Vegas.

OK your feeling all smug. Lets test it to be sure all is right

Rivverrat

Push down on the shift pin as shown.  The lever will come forward & rest on the ledge & smaller diameter end of pin.

So did you get it your first try ? Dont bother telling me I wont believe you. Besides why aren't you headed for Vegas.

Rivverrat

Shift button & retaining ring.

Rivverrat

Anti Reverse

The way of installing this as I describe works very well for me. I find I'm not fiddling about as much   as with other ways of doing it. So here it is.

Start by gathering anti reverse, gear dogs, & pinion set & assemble them.

Hold the assembly as shown in the center, by the pinion. Carefully lower into the bearing. You'll need to rock the gears to get the teeth of the pinion & gears to match up. Which is why we installed the handle prior.

When you feel gears match up keep it all of it above the the post & slide the dogs where they are directly over their posts & drop assembly into place.

Rivverrat

Retaining Plate

Don't forget the two washers on the bottom. Grease will help hold them in place.

Rivverrat

Main Frame

I'll start with the reel foot shown here. My advice is if you lack the means to to extract broken screws, don't wish to purchase  appropriate tap & die & maybe install helicoils leave the reel foot alone. Good chance you'll bust off a couple of the screws. The screw are not the same size. 2 short with 2 longer ones.

I'm waiting for parts from Okuma so I can replace one that broke. Thought I had some left.

Rivverrat

Machined slot in frame need to be cleaned out well & covered with lite layer of grease.

Rivverrat

Apply a lite coat of grease to the entire inside of the frame.

Grease the drag washers the same as shown in all other tutorials here.

Installation of the spool is simply done in reverse order of the tear down.  

When installing the drive side to main frame  align the the single side plate screw hole with the two screws in reel foot as shown in pic & twist the gear box toward you top away from you after the drive is in place into place.

Rivverrat

There were some issues early on with different variations of the Andros 12. Over all I believe Okuma has rectified all prior issues. Okuma's customer service & parts availability is second to none.

This reel will cast as well as any other in its class. Will make more than 20 lbs. of fishable drag. Doing this with out the use of any special bearings. Okuma does not use an anti reverse bearing. Depending on the timing of the dual dog set up to keep back play at a reasonable level.

This reel will stand up well fished at  20 lbs. of drag. With only the slightest hint of resistance in the handle in the high speed versions.

Two things I don't really care for is the Andros reels are pretty much set up to fish at strike. The drag ramps up quickly usually giving 2 - 5 lb. increase at full.

I set my Andros 12's up this way. Full is set at 25lbs. well below the 33 lb. max. I then find out where 10 -15 lbs. is at & I mark that setting or make a mental note of where it is. 10 - 15 lbs. of drag  is generally a click or two of the lever past the first screw for the right side lug. As shown in pic below.

This is basically where I set the lever when I fish the reel in my hands & not spiked in the sand or in rod holder.

I purchased my first reel more than 40 years ago. I was unhappy with most reels I purchased since then. With that said the Okuma Andros is the first reel I have purchased EVER that has exceeded my expectations... Jeff

Rivverrat

For those interested here's pics of the removal / installation tool used by Okuma Tech's