Okuma Andros 12N A Series Tutorial

Started by Rivverrat, March 18, 2018, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 12:33:47 AM
Thats pretty much how they roll over there when it comes to small parts... Jeff
I noticed you never removed the shift lever in your excellent tutorial. Now I know why!  :)
Thanks for your help.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Rivverrat

Quote from: Wally15 link=topic=24782.msg301019#msg301019
/quote]
I noticed you never removed the shift lever in your excellent tutorial. Now I know why!  :)
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Well ... thanks for mentoning this. It was not done intentionally. But  absentmindedly... Jeff

Your detent ball should not have fallen out on its own.

kutlingen

Thanks for a great tutorial. Came in handy for my teardown og a andros 5II A. I am having issues with the ger skipping in high under a load. I tryed fliping the square pin under the gears, as someone suggested that might be a solution. Dont know if it worked or not, as i havent tested with a load yet.
I did however run into the problem of assembling the axel with the bellwilles and whatnot. broke the E clip taking it out, as i didnt know what I was doing. Searching this thread, helped me a bunch, but damn that thing is a bugger to assemble, without the proper tool.
I came up with this. A simple wiper arm puller, available most anywhere. Worked great.

Darin Crofton

Awesome tutorial, Jeff, now I want one of these reels, thanks ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Rivverrat

kutlingen, want to thank you for not only taking the time to post but most of all for sharing the use of the wiper tool. This site has become what it is because of people like your self taking the time to share. It's greatly appreciated.

Many people, including myself have wrestled with getting the spring washers back in place. They can for lack of better description & respecting the 12 year old rule.... be a bloody hemorrhoid. At least until one finds a way to deal with them.

A friendly word of caution. When any kind of pressure is applied to the bearing we need to make sure the pressure is applied to the center. This being the part the shaft passes through. This can be  very easily achieved  by shimming with washers that are a smaller over all diameter than the bearing. If the wiper jaws of your tool cant reach the smaller washers you could at this point stack larger washers on top of the smaller ones.

I hope this makes sense. Reason we want to be careful here is pressure applied to bearings in the wrong place will crush or crease them quickly ruining them.

Oh !  almost forgot to mention, there has been issues in the past with the gears skipping on the Andros series of reels. If this continues I recommend you send it to Okuma. They will have your problem sorted out & your reel back to you promptly.

Thanks Again... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: Darin Crofton on January 16, 2019, 09:07:50 PM
Awesome tutorial, Jeff, now I want one of these reels, thanks ;D

Thanks, Darin. Working on your rods today. But I just now had to take a break. It's hard for me to sit long doing any thing. A quick bike ride usually fixes it... Jeff

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

Quote from: kutlingen on January 16, 2019, 08:56:18 PM

I came up with this. A simple wiper arm puller, available most anywhere. Worked great.

never thought of that.  thanks!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kutlingen

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 16, 2019, 11:00:16 PM
kutlingen, want to thank you for not only taking the time to post but most of all for sharing the use of the wiper tool. This site has become what it is because of people like your self taking the time to share. It's greatly appreciated.

Many people, including myself have wrestled with getting the spring washers back in place. They can for lack of better description & respecting the 12 year old rule.... be a bloody hemorrhoid. At least until one finds a way to deal with them.

A friendly word of caution. When any kind of pressure is applied to the bearing we need to make sure the pressure is applied to the center. This being the part the shaft passes through. This can be  very easily achieved  by shimming with washers that are a smaller over all diameter than the bearing. If the wiper jaws of your tool cant reach the smaller washers you could at this point stack larger washers on top of the smaller ones.

I hope this makes sense. Reason we want to be careful here is pressure applied to bearings in the wrong place will crush or crease them quickly ruining them

Oh !  almost forgot to mention, there has been issues in the past with the gears skipping on the Andros series of reels. If this continues I recommend you send it to Okuma. They will have your problem sorted out & your reel back to you promptly.

Thanks Again... Jeff

You are more than welcome. Im only glad to be able to helpe someone out.
I dont think the puller will have any proplem reaching the inner ring of the bearing. I am however sure it would be impossible to fit the c clip if tha jaws of the puller were resting there. I know that one should be caucius to put sideload on these bearings, but as i see it, this is exactly what is done whwn you tighten the cast controle knob and therby compress the bellvilles?

I found out about the skipping of the gears the second time i used the reel. It hd been sitting on a shelfe for a while, so already 1,5 years old, so out of warrenty. I wrote to Okuma us, but they just forewarded my mail to the danish importer, and since the reel was bought in England, and according to english rules were out of warenty, they would not help. So I just bought a new one to bring with me to thailand next week, and hope to fix this one myself.

Rivverrat

Quote from: kutlingen on January 18, 2019, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on January 16, 2019, 11:00:16 PM

I hope this makes sense. Reason we want to be careful here is pressure applied to bearings in the wrong place will crush or crease them quickly ruining them

Thanks Again... Jeff

but as i see it, this is exactly what is done when you tighten the cast control knob and thereby compress the bellevilles?

kutlingen, only partially true.  Because of the ogive / arch in the spring washers the center portion of the washers makes contacts the center of the bearing. Under extreme loading it's conceivable the washers could flatten or past flat & make contact else where.

Kutlingen, I've some good contacts with Okuma here in the U.S. I will contact them Tuesday & see what can be done. This might be sending your reel to the states. One thing I can tell you with 100% certainty, is they will want to fix your reel... Jeff

kutlingen

Hi jeff. I see what you mean about the bellvilles making contact on the inner race of the bearing, but as I see it, the bearing itself rests in the frame, only on the outer part? if im right, it is exactly how it sits in the wiper arm puller. Belvilles pushing on the inner race, and puller on the outer ?
About the skipping of the gears, its very kind of you to ask your contact at okuma to help me out. It is much apreciated. I dit however test the reel under load today. Not during fishing, but with a 10 lb weight on the line, dragging it over the lawn. I had a hard time pulling the weight in high gear, but there was no skipping at all, so it seems the trick about flipping the sqare pin in the main gear worked.
Im going to thailand for the next 3 weeks so will not be able to do a proper test fishing for a while. When i get home, i will test it for sure, and get back to you.
Thanks a million for helping me out on this one. Im spredding the word about this awsome page here in Denmark.

Rivverrat

kutlingen, I have never exactly tested different bearings. The issue is the load applied to the center of bearing when in the reel is only coming from one side leaving the other side unsupported. So we have unequal support of the bearing which forces the inner workings of the bearing to one side causing friction which causes the binding or resistance we feel when turning the handle.

I've always believed the Avet reels or most lever drags could benefit form a redesigned side plate.

OH !  I just had another thought regarding the issue with your reel. What you very well could be experiencing is the dogs jumping a tooth on the anti reverse gear / ratchet. The little metal Ambassadeur style tabs / ears that grip the ratchet gear are easy to get out of adjustment.

Adjusted properly the dogs teeth should align centered & matching up with the teeth on the ratchet gear when at rest. Not laying or making contact with side plate or anything else. These tabs can be bent for adjustment. I wouldn't mess with this at this point . Not until your sure it's still not right. I hope you have it sorted... Jeff

These arent easy reels for some to tackle. However you've done great so far... Jeff   

Rivverrat

Quote from: Wally15 on September 13, 2018, 01:43:34 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 12:33:47 AM
Thats pretty much how they roll over there when it comes to small parts... Jeff
I noticed you never removed the shift lever in your excellent tutorial. Now I know why!  :)
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Wally, I did in fact remove the shift lever. Starting on page 2 It's not something that every one should probably attempt. But it's very doable if one keeps at it. Not sure what I was thinking when I originally replied to your post... Jeff

Gobi King

After reading this thread and Rivver's other Andros thread I picked up 1 or 2 Andros reels, I am going to load some line on them to use this season.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!