Tip Top Question/Advice Needed

Started by Whino83, March 19, 2018, 03:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

I am picking up a rod from a fella tomorrow. I noticed the tip top needs a good cleaning and after a second look it seems here might be a small groove in it on the bottom where the line would ride (it's a conventional rod). Is that something I could hit with some steel wool or like some 400 grit sandpaper and smooth over or should I just replace it? I'm asking because I'd hate to smooth it over and then have trouble down the road. Or maybe there is no groove at all. Kind of hard to tell from the pic.

Swami805

I'd replace it.No trick, take it to or local shop should take about 2 minutes. If that's not possible it should be attached with ferrule cement/hot glue. Apply heat and pull it off, Put a little hot glue inside the tube of the new one, heat and put it back on. Hope it's not epoxied on,that's a whole different ball game
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Whino83

I'm 3 hours or more from a rod builder so I was hoping this would be something that will clean up and maybe require a little polishing with some steel wool or even very fine sand paper if it is in fact got a groove in it. Or replace myself but I have no idea what was used to glue the original on.

droppedit

If you just clean it you know that when you hook up to something good the line is going to break, guaranteed! As Swami says, it is pretty easy to replace. The top size is measured in 64th inches. Don't measure from the extreme tip but back aways where the tube meets the windings. You can use a heat gun to both remove and install but make sure you rotate the rod and don't leave the heat on it too long. A couple of seconds and try to remove. Needle nose pliers work good and will save burns on you fingers. This link should give you your replacement guide

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Deep-Pressed-Aero-Guides/CHROME-B-TOP-SS304-CHROME-FLANGED

Depending on the line you are using you might want to replace the guide with an alloy ring.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Heat it with a bic lighter and use plyers or a piece of clothe to pull it off, you should have to get it super hot but hot enough to burn your finger a little. Twist a little while you pull and it should come right off. If it doesn't come off it's expoxied on then polishing would be your best bet. Measure the wide end of the blank where it came off in 64th's and the size of the ring. PM me the measurements and your address and I'll send you one N/C with a bit of adhesive and your back in business.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I just changed one, it took more time digging up the tip and hot melt glue than doing the repair.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain