Main Menu

"Latino Week"

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 19, 2018, 06:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Last week at my house was Latino Week,  .... YUM!!!!

I wanted to get this posted sooner but unfortunately no time.

It all started with a trip to Price Chopper. They had jumbo shrimp on sale for $8.99/lb. Clams, shrimp, mussels, chicken, Andouille sausage, chopped canned clams, garlic, onions, red peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, jalapeno, chicken broth, + the kitchen sink.

I made a huge pot and we suffered thru it for 2 days (lol). It was amazing. The little extra pop from the jalapeno just took it over the top!

Gracie was born in N.Y but her family is from Spain and Puerto Rico, so, to say she has a bit of a Latin flare would be an understatement.
The dish she put together was her take on Mofongo. Instead of using and mashing green plantains she opted for Platanos Maduros, sweet plantains.

These were sliced and fried with spices and lots of garlic and layered in a bowl to get a cup shape that looks like a flower. Then it was filled with a mixture call Picadillo, pe kah dee yo.
Spiced ground beef with capers, onion, garlic, sazon, + the kitchen sink.

Severed with yellow rice with green peas and olives and a few slices of avocado. I felt like a Buffalo when I finished!

Lastly with the leftover Picadillo, she decided on Empanada's. I ate 4 of them and went with a healthy Ceaser Salad. Lots of Franks and washed it all down with a couple of light lagers. A great simple meal.

Even when all else fails, we always seem to be able to get a good meal in, one way or another! I did have to break it up on Saturday and go Italian with a hearty Bolognese with Papardelle!

Now I need to learn how to master the grill like Chile. That boy make's some good looking dishes! Problem is when the weather is good, you know where I am!

All have a great afternoon,  ..  Lou

Dominick

Yum, I love mofungo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

simple fare, my butt. where i'm from simple fare is Vieenies, sardeenies, and beanie weenies....bloney sammich for Sunday lunch.

Reel 224

You lucky dog ;D Gracie is spoiling you, but that's ok Ruthie spoils me too. Those dishes look fantastic!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

:o  Oh man do those plates look fantastic!
I'll take one of each please.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."