270 with line counter

Started by oldmanjoe, March 20, 2018, 02:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Picked up this reel with a broken / missing reel foot .  Small chip missing were the foot broke off.  It is also missing the plastic hood on the bail end.
The rest of the reel is in great shape.  A look under the hood
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

???  A little stumped , the spool did not have drag in it .     Just a washer and the well is not deep enough to have any.
  The out side diameter is just over 12.6 mm .   What do i have ?   Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 22, 2018, 05:21:20 AM
???  A little stumped , the spool did not have drag in it .     Just a washer and the well is not deep enough to have any.

What do i have ?   Joe

You have missing drag washers, Joe — or they are still in the top of the spool well.

Show us a clear photo of the well area from the top of the spool.

There are a couple of variations on 270 spools.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

???  A little stumped , the spool did not have drag in it .     Just a washer and the well is not deep enough to have any.
 The out side diameter is just over 12.6 mm .   What do i have ?   Joe
I happen tp be lucky with one of those as well Joe, I believe it is from the very first run.
It is a three-piece spool

This one was in really bad shape, but I still had to get in there to take a closer look :)
I took the retaining ring off and found just one brass washer.
I'm not sure if there was another drag washer below it, but didn't look like.
You are showing just one washer as well, so I'm thinking this is the way they came. Doesn't make much sense :-\

The early Penn 700 also came with one drag washer and one metal washer, but this one only has the metal.

Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

The well is .175 deep .515 wide .   The spool will only click in the clock wise direction .  4 Screw holds it together , have not tried to take it apart.

Alto Mare

Interesting, mine came with 10 screws. I was able to remove 5, but had to drill out the rest.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

O. k  Sal ,Than there is another version of this spool . Perhaps if i soak it i may get the 4 screws to move. 

Alto Mare

Joe, don't spend too much time on that spool, you'll be better off with a newer one with the multiple drag washers.

Check your messages.

Sal

mo65

I have that goofy spool too...and like you fellas...it only had the single tiny metal keyed washer...silliest thing I've ever seen in a reel. There is room for a thin fiber washer under that keyed washer, I added one and it works as well as could be expected from such a minimal drag system. Sal's right...the other spool with the "normal" drags is the way to go. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

:) Thanks for the heads up Sal .   I have it saved .    I want to hot rod a couple aluminum spools.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mo65 on March 22, 2018, 04:25:54 PM

I have that goofy spool too...and like you fellas...it only had the single tiny metal keyed washer...silliest thing I've ever seen in a reel. There is room for a thin fiber washer under that keyed washer, I added one and it works as well as could be expected from such a minimal drag system. Sal's right...the other spool with the "normal" drags is the way to go. 8)
When i first saw the small diameter , i though at least a 5 stack ......

oldmanjoe

A picture of it split apart.

oldmanjoe

I have put this one back together  using parts from another reel.   I will cut a drag washer for this spool just to try .
  If it dos not work i have  another spool to use , I am really liking these German tanks....

oldmanjoe

I picked up two more line counters , both counter were not working .     One was seized and the other is missing the drive gear .
  The only difference between the two is were the end screw is on the cross shaft.    Both are the 100 yard counters.

festus

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 05, 2018, 04:55:31 PM
  I picked up two more line counters , both counter were not working .     One was seized and the other is missing the drive gear .
  The only difference between the two is were the end screw is on the cross shaft.    Both are the 100 yard counters.
Oldmanjoe, can a seized line counter be repaired?