Rapala Knot

Started by Reel Beaker, March 21, 2018, 03:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

I have been trying to tie a loop knot to my lure, and the loop knots i see which best suit this purpose seem to be the Rapala knot and the Non-slip loop knot. The Non-slip loop knot is easy to tie, no problem at all, but the Rapala knot is giving me a large headache. I could have sworn i followed the instructions every step of the way, but yet when i draw the line, it doesnt appear to look like the final product at all... I just cant get the nice barrel wraps. Anyone knows what went wrong?

oc1

Don't know, but it could be you need to draw it tight with the tag end instead of the mainline.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Here's an easy to read step-by-step with large pictures illustration. Scroll down a ways. Lots of loops & pass throughs so it could be easy to miss one of them.

https://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-tie-a-rapala-knot.html
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

1) try 3 turns, instead of 4 -- just to make sure you're doing everything else correctly...  when you get comfortable with the knot, go back to 4 turns

2) the non-slip Kreh loop is better, anyway, because the tag end points "down" (toward the lure) -- the whole point of ANY loop knot is for best lure action, which won't happen if your tag end is catching crap (weeds, rock snot, bird down, plant fluff, etc.)

Reel Beaker

I think i figured out the problem.... My tag end went in the wrong direction through the first overhand knot.....