Boss Fury 400 corrosion issues

Started by xjchad, March 23, 2018, 06:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Hey guys,
Customer brought me a couple of Fury 400's to service.  The first one was an easy clean and lube job.
The second one had some major corrosion under the drag washer.  So bad that one of the cover screw holes is half gone.  It's the lower left hole.

Is Accurate the only source for those parts?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Jim Fujitani

Since no one else has yet replied:

Whomever serviced the reel last time failed to apply grease in the washer area, a la the Tani method.  There are three choices; the final decision should be up to the reel owner. 

First, give Accurate a call and see what the charges are for them to do the repairs and service the reel.  If they do the work and replace the spool, they will also give the reel the once over and replace any bearings etc. as well as  service the reel.  It won't be cheap, but the reel should return in a like-new condition with a replacement spool. 

The next choice would be to buy a replacement part from Accurate (or any where else, but parted-out Accurate reels are probably pretty rare on-line) and you complete the servicing. 

The last choice (depending on what species the reel owner uses the reel for) would be to have you service the reel and well-grease the washer/spool with full knowledge that the corrosion damage is there. 

At least the Fury line is still in full production and a replacement spool should be available.  I would hate to think that the owner may have bought the reel used, and it came to him/her with that un-noticed damage, but there are folks out there that don't take care of their equipment.  One former co-worker used to buy new reels at the start of each season/year, and then sell them at the end of the year, untouched internals.  And yes, he could afford it, I can't.

My Accurates are the only line of reels that I don't even open.  They go to an authorized Accurate Tech for servicing.

Wolli

Is Accurate the only source for those parts?

definitely not..... ;D

the pics are from a Jigging Master PE6 i had this week for service

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

beaveer4242

I had the same problem with the handle side plate. I had to drill out all four screws. It was such small screws to..

akfish

Accurate changed the Fury reels soon after they were announced, so if this is one of the original models, getting parts may be difficult. I couldn't get a Fury right side plate barely a year after they came out...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

it pains me to see this.  yes, accurate is the only place to go to for parts other than bearings.  bearings are standard and can be had at smoothdrag.com or bocabearngs.com.  like so many reels, the accurates should be pre-serviced before fishing with them.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xjchad

Thanks guys!
I called Accurate and I'm ordering the replacement parts.
Not as pricey as I had expected.
Husband, Father, Fisherman