Knots for heavy Monofilament

Started by Reel Beaker, March 24, 2018, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi Guys,

My definition for heavy mono is actually 40 lbs and above. Actually, i am trying to tie some 40 lb mono. I have been tying the clinch knot with 40 lb mono for some time and have been getting "pig tails" near my swivel as in my other post. According to Animated Knots, the improved clinch is not recommended for mono above 30 lbs. So, i am looking for new knots for heavy mono in the range of 40-80 lb range.

The knots i know how to tie currently are the clinch knot and uni-knot.

I just googled the centauri knot yesterday and is looking for an alternative for the centauri knot for heavy mono.Always better to have an alternative right? I was trying the palomar knot for 40 lb recently,  but also had problems tying it .......

What knots do you guys use and what do you recommend?

wailua boy

I think by lessening the amounts of twists, the improved clinch knot can be used with heavier mono without seeing much weakening of line; granted there maybe better knots like the palomar. I regularly tie clinch knots with 60lb when attaching terminal tackle.

bill19803

many  long rangers use   the  san  diego  knot   for their terminal  tackle. How   you  tighten  it  is  very important    to its  success.  It  must  be  lubricated.  it  must  be  tightened   slowly   and it  must be   pulled  TIGHT  It   works  on big   stuff like  130   flouro  200  mono.  Takes  a p air  of pliers  to pull  it  tight   with the  bigger  stuff. Many  tackle  boxes  on  long range  have been  fitted   with  an   eye  bolt to  assist on pulling  tight   with  pliers.

Long Enuff

I have good success with a Trilene knot for heavier line. Just be sure to lubricate and pull tight.

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php

Swami805

I'd use a San Diego on 40lb and double Sand Diego on 60lb and up. Palomar works great on 40lb too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

40lb mono/floro is about as heavy as I get. I use a palomar or 4 turn clinch - don't forget to lube it ;)

Keta

To me "heavy" is something between 80 and 300 pound.

Try a "Springer Knot".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDokeGDkAt8&feature=share
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Yeah. Any line I can't double-up before tying is heavy mono. >or= to 40lb. I use an improved clinch--- 2 loops around the hook/lure eye, then there's a 1/2 granny in the end a the line in case it still slips. Last part important, 'cause I don't tighten to the point of creasing the mono., let it tighten by itself, it ain't gonna come undone.
Also, max. of 4 twists can reduce creasing
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I use a San Diego knot. It's easy and strong.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

I use the SD knot also. Lite lines up to 30 lb I use 7 turns. 40-60 5 turns. It works for me, I never lose a hook and have a curly-Q at the end of my line. If you ever do see a curly-Q at the end of your line when you lose a hook that means your knot came undone.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

I also like the San Diego jam knot.

This is a little OT, but when using most light (under 30 lb) copolymers, I've found it important to double the line when tying to terminal tackle.  Most copolymers are soft and might not stand up well to the eyes they are tied through.

--Mike

Three se7ens

Ive had good luck with a perfection loop in 40 lb fluoro.  That knot is one of my favorites for leader to lure or terminal tackle. 

boon

I just tie unis up to maybe 150lb, especially where strength isn't absolutely paramount, i.e. I am only using that line weight for abrasion resistance rather than outright pull.

Any heavier line, or where I want to be able to pull really, really hard on a fish, I tie the AG Chain knot; it's a true 100% knot that you can't really get wrong.

EDIT: Or crimp.