10/0 mods for wire line HST

Started by Bracker, March 25, 2018, 03:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bracker

Hi

What modifications would be suggested to prepare an older model (chrome spool) Senator 10/0 for high speed trolling with wire line? Thanks!

Shark Hunter

Bracker,
Is this reel a bearing model?
If it has bushings, It will have the hex shaped nut on the handle side instead of a bearing cover.
You could start with a stainless sleeve from Cortez Conversions and a Carbon Fiber drag upgrade from Scott's Bait and Tackle.
There are other options, such as an insert kit from Motive Fabrication and a Handle upgrade, but the sleeve and simple HT-100 drag upgrade should get you trolling with 30 lbs of drag.
Life is Good!

Bracker

I haven't bought the reel yet. Just looking at my options. As a kid I used 4/0's and 6/0's trolling in the Caribbean but I have no idea as to the specs on the classic Penns. Other than size how do the guts of the 9/0's differ from 10/0's. I know I'll be sacrificing line capacity but I was wondering due to the ready availability and affordability of 9/0s since I'm going to be modifying it anyway the 9/0 may be more practical. Y'all's expert knowledge and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Shark Hunter

The 10/0 and 12/0 use the same guts. The 10 is just a narrow version.
The gears and drags are a lot more beefy, and a lot heavier than a 9/0.
I'm not familiar with wire line capacity's, but a 9/0 will hold about 800 yards of 80 lb mono.
That should be more than enough.
The 6/0, (114H) uses the same main gear as the 9/0, The pinions are just different.
A stock 5 stack Drag upgrade will give your 9/0 25lbs of usable drag.
There are also other options to beef it up.
Be careful though, you can easily sink $400 bucks into it if you want all the modern upgrades.
Aluminum Frames, Insert Kits, Stainless gears. The list goes on.
Life is Good!

Bracker

Well, I just picked up this beast on eBay.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bracker

Do you have a shop you'd recommend for modifications?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bill B

Nice reel sir.  There are a few members here that can do the mods Daron suggested.  I don't want to put anyone on blast but ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Comes to mind,  ;) however I would suggest you try this yourself.  This reel is easy to work on and everyone here will be more than helpful getting you through the upgrade.  The carbon fiber drags and stainless steel gear sleeve are readily available from mysticparts.com, and highly recommended here as the go to for parts.  The large senators are easier to work on in my opinion.  But if you want to send it out for upgrades ask him to double dog that beast.  Not sure where you are located but you may be local to a member for some hands on experience.   Bill

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

He is sending it when I get back from Vacation Bill. ;)
Life is Good!

Bracker

Thanks Bill B! The thought crossed my mind to have a go at it myself but I think I'm going to leave it to a professional for now. Haha.