The ugly duckling 🐥 Narrow Tank

Started by gstours, March 25, 2018, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This post will be in short segments so my I-pad can be used to take and send the pics.
   This reel is made from donated parts and a hodgepodge of sorts.  The painting seems to blend it together as the plates,and frame were all different colors.

gstours

The left side plate is an Accurate, right side plate was a gift from Sal and is J Variance,  the frame is an Accurate as is the spool.

gstours

The reel is meant to be fished,  it's not a mantle piece for sure.  The frame seemed to have good screw threads butt was quite corroded and pitting is evident.  As the drag system is important to me a steel gear was used. Lee made the hex insert and it was a gifted from Sal.  As were some stainless shift parts.

gstours

Some more parts were needed so it more delays.  So I made the drag package from parts left over that could be modified.  The paint isn't great, butt it helps.

gstours

These inserts are great as I've used them before.  The .025" titanium washers were trimmed in diameter as they were from an early earned drag.  New carbon fiber washers were made to fit the insert.   Soon testing will be shown as the weather is warming above freezing outside.

gstours

This was a winter project,  and so I wasn't in a hurry.  Soon it will be busy times.   
   The end plate for the double dog had been modified so it had to be redone.  Double sst dogs make these plates very strong.   I am testing acetal washers above the thicker top drag washers in place of the cone washer.   So far so good.

JRD

Isn't it funny how "ugly" often becomes the go to reel why beauties ------- turn into shelf queens and just disappoint.  Nice finished product from multiple sources.  If anybody has to ask you why, they wouldn't understand the answer anyway.

gstours

My primary goal was to use the parts that were given to me, add some things I had already and use the things I have learned from this forum for building another great halibut reel.   More pictures will follow.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

That eagle is eyeing you with suspicion, either that or he's figuring how to get inside to warm up.
Nice job using what was available and making it into a useful tool.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

Seems like I can only send one picture at a time?  Maybe it's just me.

gstours

As the insert was taller than the steel gear a sixth cf washer could be used.  This seems good.

gstours

It seemed when Sal gave me the gold colored right side plate that added fuel ⛽️ to the fire.  A useable left plate was found.   This was good.   The pic before painting below.

xjchad

Love this build!
Looks like a good big brother to my ugly duckling 970  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

gstours

The grey auto primer was used on all three pieces, then some Rustolium hammered paint sort of blended the stuff together.  I've used this before for stuff with a poor finish and it's a compromise that I can accept.