The ugly duckling 🐥 Narrow Tank

Started by gstours, March 25, 2018, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

I really like that hammered look😀...not everything needs to be shiny and perfect.😎
Brett

gstours

The crank side assembly missing in the earlier section.  This will be bulletproof.  For this size reel it will get er done. ;)

gstours

The miss matched parts painted. We got a skiff more snow ❄️ last night.  So I,m indoor s till after breakfast 🍳.

gstours

Thanks for watching this post.  The mate to these crank arms originated from AlanTani and they were lengthened and offset by me for more comfort and power .  These were custom made for a friend .   

Alto Mare

Quote from: gstours on March 25, 2018, 10:01:25 PM
Thanks for watching this post.  The mate to these crank arms originated from AlanTani and they were lengthened and offset by me for more comfort and power .  These were custom made for a friend .   
Your posts are better than a good movie ;).
Way to go Gary on showing us how its done while using parts from many places.
I have no doubts that ugly duckling will work flawlessly on bringing those slabs to the boat.
Good job buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 25, 2018, 11:12:17 PM
Quote from: gstours on March 25, 2018, 10:01:25 PM
Your posts are better than a good movie ;).
Way to go Gary on showing us how its done while using parts from many places.
I have no doubts that ugly duckling will work flawlessly on bringing those slabs to the boat.
Good job buddy!

Sal
x2,,,,great job

gstours

Thanks for the kind words again.  If it were not for you,  I would not be here.  I'm happy to share some pictures and participate in some info sharing.   Because this post forum site my equipment is getting better.  Parts are more available.  Every day someone has a posted idea. 🤳 We are not done yet 🤦‍♀️

gstours

As yesterday was spool the line on day,  the ugly reel was filled with tightly wound Jerry Brown 80# solid braid.  Hopefully drag testing will pass muster.   So stop by soon. 🙋‍♂️

gstours

Here is a view of some lead hanging.  The big ball is 25#,  that seems like a good place to start, tightening the Star, another 10# was added.  Slightly better I thought.  So then it was tightened pretty good,  slowly adding weight to more than 46#!   That's plenty I,m 🤔 thinking. 
  I,m not wanting to go more, nor break anything as it's more than fifty percent of my line strength.  I,m not capable of holding the rod at any where near that anyway.
  The reel is ready for battle.  Now it's up to me.   I,m happy with making something out of nothing.   Thanks 🙏..

gstours

Some weight shown.  The drag was then run out in the yard be walking.  It seems smooth until the spectra stretches and cuts in some.  Butt that's ok,  let's go get some fish 🐠 pictures now.

thorhammer

looks to me like you made a downrigger :)

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on March 29, 2018, 05:15:31 PM
Here is a view of some lead hanging.  The big ball is 25#,  that seems like a good place to start, tightening the Star, another 10# was added.  Slightly better I thought.  So then it was tightened pretty good,  slowly adding weight to more than 46#!   That's plenty I,m 🤔 thinking. 

gary, all the process and the salvaging parts into a powerhouse reel is awesome, but tell me how do you managed to get 46# of drag from that reel?
the drag upgrade I see there is Keta octagon insert, I also have one but my drag readings topped it at 28# which is really good in my books, yours ins almos double of that drag.
Im also using delring under main gear and top on the drag stack.

The Baja Guy

gstours

Thanks for the great question.  The insert is taller than the gear. By using keyed .025 thick custom titanium washers and .050" octagonal carbon fiber washers I was able to make the drag sandwich. There are 6 cf washers.  This picture shows 5 but found out there was room for on more in the insert then a fatty keyed washer on it.   Delrin washer and then the steel cone washer.   It fits in the aluminum plate no other mods.
    Three days before the outdoor drag test there were 4 inches of snow on my filet table/test bench.   

gstours

Mr. s. Fish.   I licked your question enough to share more detail.   I made a hex gear that's as good in my opinion ,  butt it was not worth the time and effort.  Butt it produced the same numbers.   Butt,  here is different s   The taller insert will hold an additional cf washer.   The hex gear drag compared has a larger diameter washered system.   By using thinner yet more washers you have added more drag surface area. ??🤦‍♀️
   If I can recollect mr Adam has said his 4/0 inserts will provide 40 plus # drag.  I have some and like them.   Drop in ngo.  👍
Because of this forum I'm here.   I also have more to learn.🙋‍♂️
In general it's a good thing to have what ever drag available, and rest assured your not in trouble right from the get go.   Just saying 🤔
   I'm, hoping to share some info, hey 👋 got to go fishing 🎣