275 Quick "Special"

Started by oldmanjoe, March 25, 2018, 11:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:(     Picked up this reel off eb  , working just need`s cleaning and greased .   When it arrived i tried  turning the handle , it felt like a cosmoline special .
  The 2 speed is stuck in low .     I opened it up  ???  Not much cosmoline ,looks like most of it was washed away already.   Broke it down for a good soaking .
     I am finding white power in the gear housing   The main bearing did not want to come out , Ok  soak it.  
 Two days the "man in the can " worked on it .  Now it`s my turn , the main bearing is still holding fast.   Warmed up the housing with a torch still did not move .

Found a couple of washers to make a little puller.    Finely it came out.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

All the Dam/Quick reels I have serviced to date have had that bearing jammed in there. Takes about a second to pull out with my 1 ton press.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

After a hour of trying to drive the pin out of the handle , mind you this was soaking already for two days and a few warming with the torch with no luck ,i drilled the pin.
    Even when drilled the remains of the pin still did not move .    Unfortunately the drill bit did not exit so well.      [ yes i can see  the head and tail of the pin] So i was driving the rite way.  

The shift pin was pain but it finally came out .  
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 26, 2018, 12:11:41 AM
All the Dam/Quick reels I have serviced to date have had that bearing jammed in there. Takes about a second to pull out with my 1 ton press.

Sal
How are you jigging to press the bearing out of the housing ?

Alto Mare

I was answering based on the pic you were showing, as the bearing stuck on the pinion...which it will always be the case with these reels.
Pulling it out of the housing I use a hex head bolt with no threads.
I made it myself by cutting 3" off a 6" ss bolt, I use this bolt on many things.
I place the hex head on the back side of the pinion, gently tap it with the hammer and off it comes.
I will then use my 1 ton press to finish the jobs on pulling the bearing off the pinion.

That must be the reel that went close to $200.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

No not 200,  it would have gone back for sure .     ::)     Can`t say for sure trying to communicate with the seller.

oldmanjoe

pictures  before and after of  buffing the gear sets.

after starting to look brassy again     [ Still can`t get the text and picture arrangement right.]

Midway Tommy

If you use "Additional Options" you can't type between pictures. It allows maximum of 4 of photos and they are loaded at the bottom of your post. If you want to type between photos you have to add them to your ("My Gallery") first. Then you can copy a photo, paste it into your dialog box, type below it & add another photo, type, etc., etc., etc.

I put a heavy fender washer on the pinion, thread the nut on, put the body between 2 blocks of wood with the fender washer on top of the blocks and drive the body downward with another block of wood. If the bearing is stuck on the pinion I then put the fender washer on the back side of the bearing, put the nut back on, grab the closest sized deep-well socket, insert the pinion into the socket and then use a small oak block and hammer on the nut to drive the pinion down & out of the bearing. I usually add a little vinegar around the seam first if it's really stuck and let that set for a little while.  I've only had a couple that were so tight I had to use that process on, though. Most of mine have come out fairly easily.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

I've been through a lot of reels.
This one kind of scares me.
Parts are rare and it is put together well, which makes it hard to get apart.
I was lucky enough to get one already serviced.

Life is Good!

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 26, 2018, 01:10:46 AM

Are you serious? I was hoping to get a second one for $30.  Even just parts reel will work.

Steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: swill88 on March 26, 2018, 05:42:01 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 26, 2018, 01:10:46 AM

Are you serious? I was hoping to get a second one for $30.  Even just parts reel will work.

Steve
If you do find one for $30, send it over and I'll triple your money. That goes for anyone else on here.

I thought this reel was the one that just sold last week for $191.89, shipping included, but looks like I was wrong.

You're doing good on that reel Joe, the gears appear to be in great shape. I'm sure you already know this, but if you clean really good the area where the tooth on the spring sits, it will slide in and out of gear with a little less effort.

Sal

oldmanjoe

Well i have 2 of them.
First deal was to good to pass up 3 for 112

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 26, 2018, 05:11:45 AM
I've been through a lot of reels.
This one kind of scares me.
Parts are rare and it is put together well, which makes it hard to get apart.
I was lucky enough to get one already serviced.

Don`t be scare ,it truly is a simple reel

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 26, 2018, 04:39:32 AM
If you use "Additional Options" you can't type between pictures. It allows maximum of 4 of photos and they are loaded at the bottom of your post. If you want to type between photos you have to add them to your ("My Gallery") first. Then you can copy a photo, paste it into your dialog box, type below it & add another photo, type, etc., etc., etc.

I was also trying to use the insert img here that did not work for me
Will try to up load my gallery     

foakes

On those aluminum cranks with a steel pin, and 60 years on the clock — they are sometimes the toughest to extract.

I think that a press is the right way to go with the least chance for damage.

I have always used 1/16", 1/8", or 5/32" punches and a hammer, on these.

The crank is secured between the wooden jaws of a Jacobsen clamp, with a block of wood underneath drilled with a 1/4" pin escape hole.

The pins that are roll-pins, are much easier.

While doing (batch strip downs) full restorations on Microlites yesterday — ended up punching out 17 of these little suckers with aluminum cranks and steel pins — no issues.  Just make sure the pins are coming out backwards — and use a 16 oz hammer with a steady and solid "set" on the pin.

For smoothness, and to be good for another 30 years — Got to do a full disassemble — starting with the crank, then the gears and bearing removal — to get everything cleaned, evacuated of all old crud, burnished, polished, and lubed properly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Fred by any chance is # 127  Spring for taper key still available  ?       I would like to change this one out.     joe