275 Quick "Special"

Started by oldmanjoe, March 25, 2018, 11:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

QuoteI have always used 1/16", 1/8", or 5/32" punches and a hammer, on these.

The crank is secured on a block of wood in a divot with the underneath drilled with a 1/4" pin escape hole.

That's how I do it and have never had a really bad one. I think the trick is to determine the correct end out, tap carefully until you get the pin to move and once there's a little recess to steady the punch get a little more aggressive. A ribbed pin will slide in the grooves when backing it out. It's impossible to drive it on through, though. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 26, 2018, 06:04:04 PM
  Fred by any chance is # 127  Spring for taper key still available  ?       I would like to change this one out.     joe 

No, I do not have one, Joe...Sorry

I am doing a 2-speed for Sheridan, and the one in his was rusted and would not last much longer — so I used the tiniest dog spring from a Penn Squidder — and just snipped out 2 coils.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Ok  thank you Fred .   the one that i have now works but dos not have the crisp / snap feeling .     i`ll find one.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

After assembly and playing with it 2 things I didn`t like was main bearing was noisy and the old style bail flip.
No mater how much deburring /rounding over the bail needed a good push on the handle .

So i used parts from a 270      I though i was going to get away with just changing the  bearing/drive shaft assembly from the 270 ,NO that not going to work .
  The drive shafts are different , 1 is left hand helix and the other is right hand. So i just changed the bearing.

I used the new style switch ring ,what a difference , nice smooth bail flips.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Hi Joe —

Whichever trip/switch ring you are using — it is always useful to apply a dab of grease on the trip nub, or on the copper ramp ups.

You probably already know this, but it prevents issues down the road — and allows an even smoother bail snap with less friction to prevent gouging in the salt.

Good job on that old reel!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

What was the reason for the ramp up ?   To me it seams to be there so you can only open the bail in one place .

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 28, 2018, 10:09:35 PM
What was the reason for the ramp up ?   To me it seams to be there so you can only open the bail in one place

Just to ease the sudden resistance for parts longevity.  Plus, I guess the copper can be bent to the anglers preference, slightly.

Either works fine — but the solid ring is a better system.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.