229-M drag range.....

Started by Recoil Rob, March 26, 2018, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

My 229-M goes from no drag to locked down in less than 1/4 turn of the star. The drag is smooth but it seems that there should be more range for adjustment. Any ideas? it has carbon fibre washers...
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Newell Nut

I know I could fix it but not sure how to approach telling you how. There are a few things I would have to look at to find the root cause. I know that does not help you much but it can be dealt with if you fail to find the problem.
Dwight

Recoil Rob

What should I begin to look at? I would imagine it has to be in the washer stack those are the only parts that are not original to the reel...
   - Errol Flynn

Swami805

My money's on the stack like that thin wavey washer that's likely fallen apart.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Recoil Rob

Will pull it apart and post a pic, thanks.
   - Errol Flynn

SoCalAngler

I'm wondering if Carl Newell made some reels with a fine thread and others with a course thread for the star on certain models, like Penn did. I have a G220F and I gave my son a C220F. Both are factory stock except for the upgrade to Carbontex drags in both. Also I changed the clicker in mine to be a P type clicker but that should have nothing to do with drag.

Anyway my G220 ramps up way faster then moving the star than my son's does. Could it be different threads on the stars and gear sleeves or maybe different spring washer? I really don't know as I only have one a part at a time so parts do not get mixed up.

Maybe I should look at this a bit closer and trying to change some parts between the two.

Edit: both reels do go from no drag to as much as you will want on to use on the 220's just my reel seems to ramp at least twice as fast as his does.

Swami805

A 229m is a blackie I think and has 1 or 2 of those thin wavey washers, if those are cracked or missing that will cause the issue.
Some newells have a cupped washer in the stack that dampens the pressure from the star too. Without something to absorb some of the pressure it doesn't take much to go from loose to tight in a turn or 2.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 26, 2018, 10:40:59 PM
I'm wondering if Carl Newell made some reels with a fine thread and others with a course thread for the star on certain models, like Penn did. I have a G220F and I gave my son a C220F. Both are factory stock except for the upgrade to Carbontex drags in both. Also I changed the clicker in mine to be a P type clicker but that should have nothing to do with drag.

Anyway my G220 ramps up way faster then moving the star than my son's does. Could it be different threads on the stars and gear sleeves or maybe different spring washer? I really don't know as I only have one a part at a time so parts do not get mixed up.

Maybe I should look at this a bit closer and trying to change some parts between the two.

Edit: both reels do go from no drag to as much as you will want on to use on the 220's just my reel seems to ramp at least twice as fast as his does.

The threads are all the same on the sleeve and stars.
There are some little SS wavy washers at McMaster care that I use between the drag bushing and star for easing into your drag range. Varies as to how many you can use on each reel. It could be two or four of the little wavy washers. McMaster part number is 9714K32 Wave Disc Spring

Dwight