Gage Pins from the Auction site.

Started by STRIPER LOU, March 26, 2018, 07:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Picked these up on fleabay last week. .251 to .500 minus.  (250pcs)

I've been wanting a full set .060 to .250 and .251 to .500 for quite some time but US made stuff is out of the reach for the average guy.
When ebay offered a discount and free shipping and returns, I took the chance. $79.00 delivered.

Took them to work and checked them out and was more than surprised that they were accurate to within a tenth.  Checked the hardness on the butt end of two of them and the Rockwell was 62/63 on the C scale. I'm guessing they are HSS.

Now, I only need the smaller set and I'm good to go. Super handy when doing accurate holes.

Even the used sets on ebay were expensive, some with missing pins, plus the fact you really don't know how they were treated.

I'm already using them and for basement shop use, I'm thinking its a home run.

All have a great afternoon,  ..  Lou

happyhooker

Could see some uses for these.  What's it come out to--less than 30 cents per piece?  And, with care, they'll last a looong time.

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Good find Lou. I've been looking for something like that even though it wouldn't get used much :-\
At the moment I've just got a few slip gauges I use for checking micrometers and calipers - they are seriously accurate Grade 1 inspection gauges :)
I was surprised, and pleased, to find how accurate my PRC digital micrometer was. I've just replaced my ancient digital calipers with a Mitutoyo set - more accurate with much better repeatability.

STRIPER LOU

Yes Frank, for the money, it was a darn good deal. The discount, free shipping, and free returns put it over the top!

Chris, these unfortunately are not inspection grade but I was more than surprised when they checked out at a tenth or less.

Agreed on the newer digital mic's, .... excellent accuracy. I've added a mic holder to mine with a very heavy base. It takes another variable out of the equation and makes for the best repeatability.

I have both dial and digital verniers and although handy, nothing beats a good mic overall. My knob shafts are held within .0002 and the digital mic is the only way to go.

Now, all I need is a set of pins from .060 to .250 and I'll have most of it covered.

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

Mic holders are brilliant when you need a third hand, as you said it takes out a variable.
I am currently using an adjustable Moore and Wright holder - very stable - I get repeatability to 0.001mm - which is way more accurate than anything I can turn, mill, drill etc. ;D

STRIPER LOU

bhale1

Lou, Frank, and Chris....
I have no experience in machining, or highly accurate measures....but I am always curious about things ???
Can someone tell me in "layman's" terms what these pins are used for?!
Thanks
Brett

STRIPER LOU

Hey Brett,

They can be used for a lot of different things! Calibrating and/or checking a micrometer and various other measuring devices for accuracy, inspection work, and for me, as when I'm boring or reaming a hole, I can check its size for accuracy along the way in increments of a thousandth.

There are other uses but these are some of the more common and simpler ones. Just some tools/gages for the tool/machine nut, engineer. ;D ;D

....................Lou

bhale1

Lou,
Thank you😁
Makes sense now, and I appreciate your reply!
Brett

mikeysm

I have the .251 and under set to use went I was building my 1911's.

Mike

sdlehr

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 26, 2018, 07:25:36 PM
Took them to work and checked them out and was more than surprised that they were accurate to within a tenth. 
  Lou
Is that a tenth of an inch? A mm? One tenth of 1%?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

STRIPER LOU

Sid, its .0001 or a tenth of a thou.

..................Lou

exp2000

Donnyboat

Thanks Brett your on the money again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

happyhooker

I picked up an old Lufkin (made in USA) mike, 0-1", (as opposed to something newer) because, well, I work on old rods & reels & this mike will have the same "provenance" (or however you spell it.)  Use it to measure rod blank diameters, reel shim thicknesses, fishing line diameters, and all sorts of odds and ends tasks related to fishing stuff.

Frank