Stainless Steel Gear Sleeve versus a Bronz Main Gear

Started by 58Sterling, March 27, 2018, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Sterling

Hi Alan and everyone else, I have several pro Gear 545 and 255 reels. I am considering using a BRASS/Bronze  main gear up against a STAINLESS STEEL gear sleeve in theses reels. I would not do this except that I can not get any other non Pro gear gears to work with these reels. Is this a BAD idea? Should I be concerned about the Stainless Sleeve wearing out the Bronze/Brass main gear? A lot , a little or not at all?
Thanks so much for your help guys. :)
Sterling ... max drag on these would be about 20 pounds

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Pro challenger stainless gears should fit fine. Don't know that it's absolutely nessecary but if you wanted to you could   20lbs of drag on the 255 with stock penn brass gears might be a little much.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have fished Pro Gear brass Pacifica 5:1 gears at around 20#s with no issue. A brass gear sleeve would round off quicker at that level with no gear issue. I think you are on the right track.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

day0ne

Quote from: 58Sterling on March 27, 2018, 03:38:04 PM
. I would not do this except that I can not get any other non Pro gear gears to work with these reels.

545 = Penn 113H internals fit, except for eccentric jack
255 = Penn 500/505/501/506 internals fit. Unsure about the eccentric jack

Lots of gear choices to fit these Pro Gear reels, otherwise, no problem
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter