Here's some of my oldies

Started by Florida Cracker, March 27, 2018, 06:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

After my own heart....430SS is my go-to for sea trout grubs. The BM 100 was my first baitcaster and still have it. Also have the BM1000, purchased prolly around 1990.

Midway Tommy

Looks like you're well equipped!

QuoteI really like the 308 and 408's; the Tennessee handle you have there is sweet.

I love Tennessee handles, that's all I use! When most of the quality rod makers quit offering them about twenty years or so ago I started building my own rods. It's so nice to be able to get near perfect balance! It makes an intense day of fishing much more enjoyable, especially if you don't fish with rod holders. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Florida Cracker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 27, 2018, 08:56:49 PM
Looks like you're well equipped!

QuoteI really like the 308 and 408's; the Tennessee handle you have there is sweet.

I love Tennessee handles, that's all I use! When most of the quality rod makers quit offering them about twenty years or so ago I started building my own rods. It's so nice to be able to get near perfect balance! It makes an intense day of fishing much more enjoyable, especially if you don't fish with rod holders. 
I have three with Tennessee handles. Wish I had more. I've replaced eyes before, but never did a whole rod.

mo65

Great lookin' reels Cracker! Many of those models I use myself. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Florida Cracker

After joining on here I have been digging out my reels and going through them. Just finished cleaning and lubing two 113h 4/0s. Now need two 1\4 lb. spools of mono. Thinking about 40lb. test. Been so long since I used them. I got a plastic tub upstairs in my shop full of old Penns. Somewhere is another 430ss.

happyhooker

Very nice; the spinning rod lineup was impressive.  I saw more than one reel there that I know folks on this site would have significant interest in.  That Shimano MLZ 20 reminds me I've got one I cleaned up awhile back, then put away without installing new line or ever using it.

Frank

SilverRidge

Don't want to hijack this thread, but you never know what you have stored away in the attic or the back of the garage in a box filled with some great old reels like these are ...

Tommy your so right regarding Tennessee handles, all my spin rods now have em, I think I've got two UL rods left that don't have them, couple weeks ago was at local tackle store when noticed in the rod rack a nice six foot rod that looked like a spinning rod, picked it up and lo and behold it was a TFO combination fly and spin rod, took it out back and it cast a 5 weight forward line very nicely. Guess who owns the rod now? Use 4-6 lb test nanofil for spinnng and 4-5 for fly roddng best of both world with a Tennessee handle to boot.

happyhooker

Quote from: SilverRidge on April 04, 2018, 04:06:30 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but you never know what you have stored away in the attic or the back of the garage in a box filled with some great old reels like these are ...

Tommy your so right regarding Tennessee handles, all my spin rods now have em, I think I've got two UL rods left that don't have them, couple weeks ago was at local tackle store when noticed in the rod rack a nice six foot rod that looked like a spinning rod, picked it up and lo and behold it was a TFO combination fly and spin rod, took it out back and it cast a 5 weight forward line very nicely. Guess who owns the rod now? Use 4-6 lb test nanofil for spinnng and 4-5 for fly roddng best of both world with a Tennessee handle to boot.

I feel I should know what "TFO" refers to, but help an old guy out.

I had an old Heddon "Pal" ultralight rod with a cork handle that had sliding rings to hold the reel on; maybe not the same as a TN handle, but the rings never held the reel tight, so I always taped the reel on, ala TN handle style, or tied it on with jute string that made a nice grip.  Miss that rod; it inadvertently got set aside when a was repacking the back of a van that had other gear in it; I drove off and by the time I realized the rod was gone & went back, the rod was nowhere to be found.  Have tried to find another, but no luck.

Frank
Frank

SilverRidge

My apology sir, should typed out the full name of the company instead of abbreviating, getting lazy in my old age, TFO is the popular rod company, Temple Forks Outfitters, they offer some moderately priced tackle, I've got three of their rods at this point, in fact one is being returned for repair, I accidentally broke the tip, they offer a lifetime guarantee which is nice ...the rod in my avatar is a TFO with a Tennessee handle. 

happyhooker

Quote from: SilverRidge on April 05, 2018, 02:25:53 AM
My apology sir, should typed out the full name of the company instead of abbreviating, getting lazy in my old age, TFO is the popular rod company, Temple Forks Outfitters, they offer some moderately priced tackle, I've got three of their rods at this point, in fact one is being returned for repair, I accidentally broke the tip, they offer a lifetime guarantee which is nice ...the rod in my avatar is a TFO with a Tennessee handle. 

No problem; thanks for the info; sounds like a nice rod & a good company.

Frank